or Connect

Posts by littlec

I haven't watched the interview either, but I'm wondering, is there anything more recent that would counter what he's saying on it? Because there may well be a time when old data isn't relevant, there may also be a time when non-vaxers were cherry picking and choosing to ignore something, but either way, is that going to stop you from looking at it and maybe trying to find something to dispute (or back up) his claims? I imagine you already think thimerosal is the less safe...
Several of the "worst outbreak in years thanks to the anti-vaccine nutjobs" articles say that measles were thought to be eradicated from the US in the year 2000, and now, it is back and we've had large outbreaks due to those crazies like Jenny McCarthy and all the idiots who blindly listen to her. I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist.   After some research I found a few things worth noting. In the year 2000, there were 86 confirmed cases of measles in the US. In 2013,...
I just read the comments. They are really scary. I  know people are idiots and whatnot, but I do worry about stricter laws/policies around vaccines. I'd homeschool and do everything within my power to avoid them, but it is terrifying that people are just SO okay with saying "anti-vaxers should get all the diseases and die" or that they should go live in Somalia.
I KNOW. That's what is so mind boggling to me. Maybe, just maybe the bad press will convince others to look deeper at the issue before making their decisions.
Thanks for the info!!!
I'm not finished this thread yet, but I want to say first that I've really appreciated reading your thoughts on this, Pers. And to the bolded, that's sort of how I feel about most of the VPDs; I know many of them have the potential to cause lasting harm, but in otherwise healthy individuals with access to medication/treatment, severe reactions are rare. You guys keep talking about all these cases of measles- have their been any deaths or lasting complications? How many?...
You have a boy, right? Would you be okay with mandatory circumcision for public schools? Or mandatory birth control? Would you want an exemption for those "mandates" if you, and all your research led you to believe they were unnecessary and/or harmful, even though they are classified as generally safe and accepted?It was not a reading comprehension fail. I see the point you guys were trying to make, but it is so far off base that the principle does not apply. There are no...
I agree. And I find it laughable to compare vaccines to sleeping in or dress codes.
Start by looking at vaccines one at a time- learn about the diseases and the vaccines- read the CDC pink books, the vaccine package inserts, etc. Familiarize yourself with the ones on the childhood schedule in the places you travel- be aware of any outbreaks (MMWR??). It is hard to wade through all the data, that's for sure. Stick around here and read any threads that pique your interest. I think there are some very intelligent ladies here (on both "sides"), and you can...
From the CDC:The pneumococcal conjugate vaccine, PCV13 or Prevnar 13®, is currently recommended for all children younger than 5 years of age and adults 19 years and older with certain medical conditions. Pneumovax® is 23-valent polysaccharide vaccine (PPVSV23) that is currently recommended for use in all adults who are older than 65 years of age and for persons who are 2 years and older and at high risk for disease (e.g., sickle cell disease, HIV infection, or other...