or Connect

Posts by wookumus

The job market in Bend is tough, seems like most people we know wing it for a while until something good opens up.  Many of us have put some of our financial security on the line to get here because it is such an awesome place to live and for most it has worked out but not without some sacrifices.  I wish I had some good ideas for employment but other than "pounding the pavement" and using the usual job search strategies, no great ideas.  Lots of luck to you!! If you...
Our FMLA system is a joke, so many limitations and requirements and no guarantee of any type of pay.  For most families, it is more of a punishment for having children than anything else.  And don't even get me started on trying to pump milk at work.  Exempt employees are yet another example of discrimination, not given the same limited rights as other employees, are you kidding?  But in a country whose primary motivation is to support the health and rights of...
You have probably already read it since you know Gatto but I think a good book that forces people to address the problems of traditional school is Dumbing Us Down.  Quite compelling since he was a highly regarded school teacher for many years and if it doesn't make you question the status quo system, I don't know what would.  It does not, however, address the benefits of homeschooling.  I love the book Freerange Learning by Laura Weldon as well.  Good luck with your...
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.  We were lulled into complacency for couple of months when he only had a couple of accidents and thought we were on our way.  But starting 2 weeks ago, accidents every night.  We have tried to get him up to pee but it feels more traumatic than waking up wet.  There is definitely no shame or punishment, we talk to him in terms of trying to come up with a solution together.  The biggest difficulty is having to change...
Curious where other people are at in this stage.  What is your 3-4yo wearing at night?  And any success stories or suggestions for nighttime potty training?  Thanks!
DS is doing great during the day, very few accidents anymore.  We were excited to get rid of the diapers at night as we noticed they were more often dry than not.  So we switched to thicker undies, mattress protector and crossed our fingers.  For several months, he would go at least a week without nighttime bedwetting, then out of nowhere he's been wetting the bed every night.  We have tried getting up with him to go potty but this ends up being a traumatic and lengthy...
I've been using the Gaiam Shiva Rae Prenatal Yoga video.  Not a huge workout per se but my body feels so much better when I was doing it almost every day.  Now I am starting to have varicose veins and a cold and don't feel like doing anything...bummer.
Not going to enter the vax debate but I recommend optimizing Vitamin D levels, good probiotics and breastfeeding as long as you can!  
We haven't even started homeschooling but I fear going through stage(s) like this.  I have no advice but just wanted to send some good vibes to you, hope you can get to a better place with your daughter.  Best wishes!
We haven't even begun to start homeschooling yet but I love the book Free-Range Learning by Laura Weldon. You can skip the first few chapter about philosophy, etc. and get right into her suggestions for projects, reading, websites etc. that she highlights in later chapter.  I feel like it will be a huge resource for us in the future.  Borrowed it from the library but will be buying it soon!  Best of luck to you!