or Connect

Posts by csteely

Very inspiring to hear everyone's goals! We are in a crunch this year paying for daycare for two, so we're in a holding pattern of trying not to go deeper into debt :( Some goals that would help: 1. build back and maintain our $1000 emergency fund 2. Pay down credit card debt (~$2000) and dental bills. 3. start our own health savings fund (change in insurance due to DH's job switch means more out of pocket expenses) - Tax refund will likely get this rolling. 4. stick...
Just wanted to post an update. My husband and I decided to go change her middle name to the name we (really, me) wanted to give her originally. That way we don't need to change the name that she's known by now, but we could also start calling her by her middle name without too much explanation/confusion. And of course, this way she can choose later which she would like to use.    Thanks again for all the input! I feel like I have a load off my mind now that we've decided. 
Thank you for all the replies and food for thought! At this point I'm leaning toward just using the name with her, and letting her choose later if she wants to legally change it. If she were younger I might just go ahead and do it legally, as before 1 year my state will allow the change by just sending in a form. After 1 year, you need to go to county court first, which isn't insurmountable but certainly more of a hurdle. I will look into the point that kids make a...
Thank you for sharing! That's helpful to hear.
In need of a gut check, and not sure the best place to post this but I'll start somewhere. This has been on my mind a lot lately. I have a 12 month old dd, my second. Her name was my second choice, and I've never *loved* it like I loved my first daughter's. It suits her OK, it just doesn't make my heart sing to hear it. As it turns out, the name we went with is becoming increasingly common (3 of 7 babies at her daycare have the same first name!) which doesn't help.   At...
Ooh! So many great ones. Our favorites thus far: Anything by Ezra Jack Keats Mo Willems Jon Klassen books And my new favorite favorite (as a knitting freak): Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett
I second the Rainbow Fish. That was was culled quickly.    Also can't stand the give a mouse a cookie/moose a muffin stories. Not sure why... maybe they're just not fun to read? So many great books out there, can't tolerate mediocre ones.   Love Beatrix Potter (but I'm a biologist so I love the predator-prey depictions, ahem).
Thank you! That is great to hear. Since we posted my husband accepted a job locally so we won't be heading up to AK, at least not now, but helpful to know a bit more about Fairbanks.
Hi - We may need to move to Fairbanks for my husband's job. I'm feeling a bit anxious about leaving Portland (kind of a Shangri-la for kid-raising) and moving further away from family on the east coast.    I would love to hear about others' experiences raising kids in Fairbanks. Good schools? Fun things to do? Is it easy enough to meet and find other families as friends? I'm a bit of an introvert, so that doesn't come easily to me...   We have two girls - almost...
@pek64, Well, we do eat mostly healthy desserts - for DD, honey and tangerines are a big treat (presented with a basket of mixed wrapped candy and tangerines while trick or treating - she chose a tangerine!). That's not such a big issue, but there are times when we do have ice cream or (like now) some chocolate around the house that she's aware of. And we also talk a lot about the differences between treats and foods that nourish.    I'm just trying to help her build...