or Connect

Posts by csteely

Ah, hadn't seen that one - thanks! Also found this, which is pretty relevant right now: http://www.ellynsatter.com/october-22-2008-family-meals-focus-30-the-sticky-topic-of-halloween-candy-i-129.html   Seems like it will take a leap of faith to implement, but worth a try!
I'm wondering how others handle dessert. I've read a bit of Ellyn Satter, and would like to be able to follow her guidelines for DD to just eat as much (or as little) as she wants of the food we prepare and leave it at that. She's 3 1/2.   Generally it works that way, except when dessert is in the offering (once or twice a week). I just can't let her have dessert on an all but empty stomach. And yet I don't want to ban dessert for her altogether (all things in...
I'm looking for feedback on a possible strategy for getting my 3 yo DD to become more independent going to sleep. She starts out the night in her own bed (cosleeps with us for about 1/2 the night), so after the usual routine (book/song/story) either my husband or I will stay with her until she falls asleep, which can take up to an hour and a half.   It's starting to affect my marriage, since DH and I have begun to fight over who has to spend the 90 mins in her room...
Yeah, the ability to flip the bed seems like a good out if it's not working. Thanks!
Thanks! Good to remember... I was thinking strategic use of mattress covers would be a good idea. :)
I love this idea! Would also keep the younger one from exploring the ladder too early...   Good point about the mattress - I'd make sure to use a futon or regular mattress for the baby on the floor. Also a good point about the need to get up in the middle of the night. My husband usually helps her if she cries in the middle of the night (usually comes to cosleep around 3am) so I'll bring that up with him ;)   Thanks for all the input! Ideally, this would be a temporary...
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but would love some feedback.   DD1 will be 3.5 when our new baby is born. We are thinking of buying an Ikea Kura bed now, and having her sleep under it as a loft on her mattress to start (she sleeps on a mattress on the floor now). The idea is that we'll move the baby into her (tiny) room once DD2 is old enough to sleep on a mattress on the floor (~6 mos?), and then we could move DD1's mattress up to the loft as a bunk...
She does know I'm pregnant, and I was worried that talking to her about how my boobs were changing might make her associate the baby with interfering with her nursing (baby=bad!). But maybe I'm giving her too little credit...? Obviously she can see my body is changing - and maybe talking about it in a general way will help her understand. It seems like it's definitely better to talk about it, since she is older and can understand much more than she would have a year...
That is a great idea -  I used to read, back when nursing sessions were so long ;) but it worth revisiting for the distraction factor.   Thank you!
Thank you for your support! I had all these ideas about how to lovingly guide her through weaning, and then of course I get pregnant! Oh well... best laid plans I guess. ;)