or Connect

Posts by elus0814

The whole situation sounds really frustrating. To be completely honest with you, it's not your place to even try to 'reparent' teenage children you're keeping an eye on while their parents are out of town. In your shoes I would ask the mom for specific rules and punishments for specific behavior. If that doesn't work go for pared down expectations (drying a countertop that was wiped off is not something even I would bother with) and natural consequences. Taking snacks away...
$1000 for a family of eight. That includes all non food stuff too like toiletries, ziploc bags, diapers, etc. Yes, I know cloth is cheaper. It's spent approximately like this: $225 local organic produce boxes $250 bulk meat orders, some organic and some natural $25 misc grocery store produce $150 milk, butter, eggs, yogurt, cream, cheese; some organic some conventional $150 packaged/premade food, everything from rice to potato chips, mix of organic and conventional $50...
Maybe add more healthy fat and protein to the food choices? In our family kids who aren't 'in the mood' to stay put (such as while paying for groceries) are strapped into a stroller. If a child wants attention running off and misbehaving are great ways to try and get it. Going to grandmas or having a personal adult to monitor behavior when company comes over is rewarding what you're saying not to do.
It sounds like food is a big topic of conversation and arguments. What about just not bringing it up for awhile. He's an adult and knows it's not healthy to not eat all day, why argue over it? Could you say 'I'll take care of all things food for awhile, just let me know if you'd like me to pick something up for you or if you'd like to talk about anything else'? Then do just that, take care of all things pertaining to food and let him eat if and when he wants to. Maybe when...
I have to agree that this is very normal behavior for a six year old. The big red flag for me in your post is when you say you "flipped out". It's hard to do but it's important to try to stay level and not set the example that its ok to fly off the handle when things aren't going the way you want. I'm surprised you would make a six year old put their snack in the garbage because an adult didn't buy the snack you had pre approved, I agree with the post that said it would be...
I have been thinking about this. I have to say I'm in the 'no' camp. It's a purchase that's both big and self indulgent. I do think those on welfare should feel free to treat themselves at times but when I think of a treat I think of a magazine, an article of clothing, driving a few hours away to visit family for a day or two, a bottle of wine, a few DVD rentals, a throw blanket. I don't think of a tattoo. You said you have savings. The asset limit for food stamp...
We move frequently and are never really familiar with any 'downtown' area so that's a difficult question to answer. It also depends on which child, a few of my children are more responsible and a few a more, um, carefree. If we lived in Mayberry, a stone's throw from a small town business district, we knew everyone well, the kids were very familiar with the area, they were in a large group, and were making a quick outing (like walking up the street to pick up a snack)...
I've always understood that many women viewed breastfeeding as something poor or uneducated women did. Going way back wealthy women would hire wet nurses as breastfeeding was seen as below them and they wanted large families without waiting for fertility to return after weaning. Advertising wouldn't have started the initial change as formula was just that, a formula a doctor gave to a woman. It would be something like three parts evaporated milk, four parts water, one part...
Gentle Birth Options is wonderful. They do homebirths and have a birth center. They have all kinds of support groups as well. Just can't say enough good things about Cindi, the midwife there.
I wanted to add that the vests are only for kids already old and mature enough for booster seats, they don't replace regular harnessed car seats.