or Connect

Posts by elus0814

We have our six kids in a Honda odyssey with the small seat between the captains chairs. They're pretty much the same ages as your kids with a three year old added in. Using travel vests (we have ride safer brand) rather than boosters makes it much more manageable. It creates space, allows the kids to switch seats, and makes it easier to reach the belts. They're a bit of a hassle to use at first but the kids are used to them now.
Every food has potential problems, even fresh produce. Food choices are the result of balancing pros and cons. I'm ok with my kids eating lots of peanut butter. It's ok of others have not made that same choice. "Peanut butter is not even healthy for you" is your opinion, nothing more. As a parent it is my right to make decisions in the best interest of my child and I'm not ok with that right being taken from me by a school.
While peanut butter is not as healthy as vegetables it's a major protein source for picky kids. What are the other protein options? I know for my pickiest eater protein is limited to peanut butter and dairy. She's only able to eat milk, yogurt, or cheese without gagging if it's ice cold and a thermous doesn't keep it cold enough. She will not eat meat, beans, tofu, quinoa, or any other proteins. I'm not comfortable sending just plain slices of bread as a meal. Her food...
That's a great point you made about picky eaters being stuck without anything to eat. How is it fair for kids without allergies, who are not asking for anyone to do anything for them, be made to go hungry all day and miss out on educational opportunities because of it? No child can learn well while hungry. If a nut ban went into place at their school I would likely go back to homeschooling, at least for our pickiest eater. The school has banned food on the playground...
The cost is a big issue here. Peanut butter is a cheap source of shelf stable protein. If a child who would otherwise have brought a peanut butter sandwich each day is required to switch to sunflower seed butter or another substitute the cost would have to be shouldered by their parents. I don't think it's right to require parents to spend more money to feed their child because another child has an allergy. My two older kids have peanut butter sandwiches just about every...
We budget $1000 per month for food and non food grocery items. It's for our family of eight, two adults and six kids (all the kids are under ten). DH is athletic and needs extra calories. I'm breastfeeding, our youngest is using grocery funds in this way as well as for diapers. We eat a healthy diet, about 50% organic. I lean towards paleo so we have lots of meat. Very little of our meat is organic but it is natural and decent quality. Organic, grassfed milk is a big part...
I've been in your shoes.... Living far away from family without many friends. I wouldn't let go of a friendship over this. I would try to time nursing around visits and/or offer to leave the room. It would be nice to get to spend one on one time with one of the kids while the others are being looked after and it would preserve the friendship. Being a military wife myself I'm wondering if this family is particularly religious. We have many, many friends who are modest for...
I've used both and found rightstart to be significantly more time consuming but that might depend on the child. My experience has been that if you child can work independently then math u see can be done on their own. If they can work independently with rightstart you still have to sit and do all the work with them. If you child isn't working independently yet then it probably doesn't matter as you'll be helping anyway.
Not sure if it's illegal or not but to be completely honest it would be enough that I wouldn't be willing to let my kids play outside if it was going on. That said, it happened once and it sounds like she's making a really big deal out of it. If it was happening every day I could maybe understand her reaction. I'm assuming you don't live in an area where your yard is very secluded and you do not have a privacy fence (in which case it's odd that your neighbor would be...