or Connect

Posts by elus0814

Our kids were in a private school last year. We homeschool this year and it's much easier. Not many things are as difficult or exhausting as getting yourself plus five kids, all under eight, up/dressed/fed/out the door by yourself by 7:30am day after day. Yes, academic work takes several hours each day and there is prep work in the evenings but everything is done on our schedule. If we're stressed we can take a day off. We can do a week's work on the weekend and spend...
What about learning activities that can be done with the baby in the ergo? Babies might not nap well the first few days but they can adjust to being in a slightly noisier environment, especially when in a carrier. There's also all that time the baby isn't napping. Let the baby play on the floor and do educational things. Even if the baby is napping in the carrier you can still do activities at the table, kitchen counter, or go out of the house. The baby can nap while you...
  I was giving you suggestions that you asked for. Perhaps they weren't helpful in your particular situation but there is no need to be rude about it. I think it might boil down to your only options to change your situation being options that you don't want. Again, probably not what you want to hear but there it is.
You said your family was getting ready for school when this happened. Was going to school postponed for an hour (plus shower time) to try and get the four year old to clean up? If so could it be that he was trying to avoid going to school or leaving the house?   I don't know if I would make a little kid get the rocks out by themselves in cold water. I would probably make them do something for the person who gets them out. Something like five minutes of work per rock....
It depends on the color you're going for but concentrated juice of certain fruits and veggies might work. Either juice them or put them through a blender and strain. Then put the juice in a pot and reduce. I've had it work with beets (pink/red), spinach (green), golden delicious apple peels (yellow), strawberries (red), blueberries (bluish purple), and pumpkin (orange, takes lots of reducing). The colors aren't on par with regular food coloring but they work ok. 
  What is she supposed to do if her older child stops helping? Those car seat rollers are too wide to be able to roll one plus another rolling suitcase. They're even too wide to fit through the X-ray machines without taking the seat out and the seat must be taken out yet again on the plane since the dolly won't fit down the aisle. Maybe she can manage all that with tight connections but I don't think I would bring a dolly. Not to mention she said she isn't even sure how...
  High school is a different story. I think the op was talking about younger elementary children. I can see how a high school would not allow kids to take a class if, and only if, the class was otherwise full. It's not a great situation but schools have to make decisions based on past performance and decide who gets what opportunities. In high school one kid wasn't allowed to take journalism again (it was a multi year course) because he didn't do well enough the first...
  I'm not sure why it would be so difficult. It wouldn't be perfect but having the kids who are generally more advanced in a separate class from the kids who are less advanced overall seems to make sense. Growing up both classes had reading groups and although it wasn't known to the kids exactly how the selection process worked it was known, even in first grade, that this group of kids are smarter and using more difficult books and this other group is not. Kids pick up on...
I'm confused on something. You get about three hours of broken sleep per night, how is a baby only sleeping three hours? Is it that you're staying awake to rock the baby? What about a baby swing? Having had kids with reflux I really think you need to take the baby to the doctor and explain all this. The baby might need stronger reflux medication to be able to sleep. I know you don't want the baby to cry at all but if you're getting to where you're thinking of hurting the...
I've seen car seat techs pick up a seat by the straps, wearing it backpack style doesn't seem much different. It's recommended as a way to travel with a car seat. If you're worried about it there is something called (I think) jl childress carseat travel bag which is essentially a backpack that holds a car seat. It looks cumbersome.   I like the idea of bungee cording the seat to a rolling suitcase. If she's in a big hurry between flights she can just put it on backpack...