or Connect

Posts by elus0814

Has anyone found a way they will pay the full amount? The midwife I have spoken with has told me they will only $1500 of her $4100 fee and that I will have to pay the rest out of pocket. I find this extraordinarily annoying since they will pay $10,000+ for a hospital and ob but balk and the mention of $4100. Is there a specific person at the med group I need to speak with? The midwife is a CNM, if that matters.
I'm planning on one right now and I live on an Air Force Base. It is your home that you are renting, even though it is on a military installation. As long as you are not doing anything illegal or against their rules (such as excessive Christmas lights or ripping out the carpet) they cannot tell you what you may or may not do in your private residence. What you should be more concerned about it getting coverage through tricare for your homebirth. I'm still researching it...
During a long wait at the doctor's office today I was thumbing through a small sized parenting magazine. I can't remember the name of it but it wasn't at all familiar to me. BTW, this is at the medical group on an Air Force base - they're officially pro-vax but if you choose not to they can't do anything about it or refuse to treat you. Our doctor there is totally fine with our not vaxing. Anyway, this article was the typical "vaccines are safe", "vaccines don't cause...
My DH is pretty much indifferent. I do the food shopping and meal prep so I buy and make what I feel is best. He refuses to watch Food, Inc. but I'm still working on it. He really likes meat and we eat a lot of it. All the meat we eat is conventional since we don't have a source of grass fed beef or pastured chicken. I'm hoping to buy a deep freezer so I can buy a large quantity of meat from a farmer but it hasn't happened yet. We make our own bread with organic flour and...
That would bother me too. I don't like the idea of someone profiting off of donated milk. Either the milk should be available at cost from a non-profit or the mothers should be able to sell their milk. It's very sneaky and I don't like how they are laying a guilt trip along the lines of "if you don't give your milk to us then babies could die". What a terrible thought. Ideally anyone who needs milk would be able to find a donor in their area and the donation would happen...
I make it in the vitamix and I put in the scraping of 1/4 of a vanilla bean or a bit of vanilla extract (homemade). I also add a pinch of raw sugar, about a teaspoon for 20 or so ounces. I bet honey would be good too. I also strain it really well since I don't care for any texture to it.
Quote: Originally Posted by Pinoikoi I like the Muir Glen organic products. I found a bunch of coupons for their stuff on ebay and stocked up when they went on sale. Things like canned organic diced tomatoes. I used to really like muir glen as well but then I found out their cans are lined with a plastic that contains BPA and the acidity of the tomatoes plus the length of the time in the can cause a lot of it to leach into the food. I still buy...
I really like Amazon. I shop on their site all the time for books and other things. I used to shop there occasionally until I moved this summer. It's now a 45 minute drive with three very young kids to get into town to a small bookstore and they frequently do not have what I'm looking for. I use Amazon for all kinds of things, including food by the case. They have hard to find organic food by the case at a really good price with free shipping. I pay per year for 'Amazon...
-almond milk (we drink cow's milk too but this is a fun change) -"ice cream" cow's or almond milk + frozen fruit (a bit of sugar if the fruit is too tart), the kids think of this as ice cream and we make it all the time -grinding wheat berries in the dry container, I don't use them by themselves since they are a bit grainy compared to milled flour but I add them into things. I'm trying to sprout some wheat to make sprouted bread -cheese sauce - just some cheese and...
Think about the kinds of things your family likes to eat and then decide if you can make them yourself. If so, write down the ingredients and how homemade you want to go. For example, if you like take out tacos you could make them yourself but you have to decide if you are going to use pre-shredded cheese and premade tortillas. You can do those things yourself but it takes more work. I hope that makes sense. I make most everything from scratch and we are about 90% organic...