or Connect

Posts by jt'smum

In KS as well, if its in the IEP and the IEP isn't being met then the district can be sued. I would hound the district till they do it.
It saddens me to know that so many families are having such a horrid experience with their children in schools. From what I have heard Kansas is pretty strict on the use of restraints. We are also taught to document EVERYTHING and we do. I just want everyone to not generalize all of us who work with Special needs kids. I felt that is what the article did...It would be nice to have an article show the flip side and what we encounter on a day to day basis..and always...
Please be aware that this story is terribly biased. As a SpEd para I have had laptops thrown at me, kicked, hit, bit, scratched etc. At the district where I work we receive training on how to restrain and child and when. We have never used handcuffs but I am not opposed if the situation arose. We ALWAYS try to deflect the situation, refocus attention before it escalates. There are times though when it isn't possible. When a child becomes a danger to him/herself or other...
Thanks again! I stupidly never thought about it until my friends death. I meant SSA instead of SSI.
Thanks! I have started the process to get paternity done. There isn't a question but I did not list him on birth cert and he has not been involved.
Who would be awarded custody of a child if paternity was never established with the father? What would happen if the father died would the child receive SSI and can paternity be established after death? I ask all this as a friend passed away this weekend in a vehicle accident. He was 32 (my age) left a wife and two small children behind..It has shaken me up a bit and got me thinking about my youngest and what would happen if something were to happen to her father or...
DD like to grab my face. I just take her hand and rub it on my face and say gentle hands she smiles and goes for the hair, repeat process. She so far has been gentle to herself it others she likes to "attack"
The only part that bothered me like others was the "lady" part. We use gentle hands and DD is only 4.5 months...She likes to pull her sisters hair we say gentle hands and then stroke her sisters head. What do you do at that age when a babe takes a toy from another child? With my oldest we would tell her that so and so had the toy and we(I) would give the other child a new toy to play with.
I know how ya feel. I spent my Mothers Day cleaning and doing laundry. However, I too feel that I am not met to be married, maybe have a SO but not married. Its tough when I see my married friends going here/doing that...But, then I think about how I can go here/do that but maybe not as often or to as nice of a place. And I too take comfort that my kids love me and need me...
DD is 7 and sleeps with either me or her grandmother whom we share a house with. Today she was telling me that no one at school knows that we have a family bed or beds. I asked her why and she said they would laugh and tell her she is a baby. She has her own bed as does her sister. I just let her choose where she wants to sleep. Sometimes it her bed, sometimes mine, sometimes her Grammie. I told her that all families are different and different things work for different...