or Connect

Posts by auntieM

Thanks, everyone. I knew I'd get some good ideas from you all. We generally have leftovers & that has been great. I made some muffins around 37 weeks. They've been really helpful--especially for dd as she can get them from the freezer herself & actually likes them frozen. It's time to replenish--thanks for the reminder. You all have really wonderful & yummy suggestions. Thank you!!!
I'm a week & a day from DD's birth & am getting the barest bit of milk coming from my affected breast. I have been focusing feeding on the other breast to ensure supply, so I'm not sure if I've seen the limit of production by the affected breast or not. It is more important to me to make sure that I have a good supply & that she gets what she needs. Still not sure what I'll do with about the treated breast. I've been pumping a bit to keep my options open... How are...
DD1 was 14 months old when I had to wean for the same reason. She was not keen on bottles. After I weaned, she made the switch fairly easily. She continued to use the bottles for a couple of years. In the end, she was happy to have water in the bottle--she still really needed to suck. I was amazed by how well she did with the weaning. It may have been harder on me... Please accept help when people offer it. One of the best forms of aid we received was meals...
I'm a week out from the birth of our second daughter & finding it hard to stay on top of getting enough food & water. My husband has been making lovely dinners & that really helps. The tricky thing is balancing resting when she sleeps with getting food and time for basic hygiene. I need ideas for foods that are easy to prepare--doesn't need to be fast, just OK with little/sporadic attention. Some of the things I've done: glass of milk broth chia in...
When we were considering taking DD to the hospital with us, someone suggested hiring a doula-in-training to be her care taker. She would have had to understand that the child's needs came first & she may not be able to attend the birth. I think it would have worked out well if DD had been interested in going with us. Have you talked to your friends about night time care? They may be more willing/able than you think.
Thanks! I'm at 39 weeks now. Pretty soon we'll be posting our personal experience. I feel confident that one breast will be sufficient. I am hopeful that I'll have two available. A friend of mine opted not to use the affected breast because she was concerned about small cuts & abrasions increasing her risk of lymphedema. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't remember wounds being such a big deal with my older daughter. We'll see.... Best wishes for your...
I have one friend who nursed successfully with only the unaffected breast. Beyond that I've not found a lot of information. Some time ago, I remember looking for scientific data & came across one study with a cohort of 15 women. Some successfully breastfed from the treated breast. Most did not. I don't remember the exact numbers, but with only 15 women, I don't think a whole lot of conclusions can be drawn other than we need more data. It sounds like we'll...
You can try "stretch & fold." Here is a good description. It is less labor intensive, but requires a little more time. I find it very flexible & effective.
I love the idea of "cheek to cheek." Your partner or someone in the OR staff can hold the baby's cheek up to your cheek while the surgery is finished (or even just briefly). You may or may not want to include this in your written plan. I've seen an image of the father holding a swaddled newborn up to his wife's cheek. Even a brief contact like that would have made a huge difference to me in my daughter's birth.
Quote: Originally Posted by darcytrue And I may talk to the OB when I go in for my next appt. I may let them know that when I called I didn't appreciate the nurse's tone. I'm one of those people who like to be non-confrontational. I don't want to upset anyone or get anyone in trouble I guess. It would be nice if I had an OB that I could go to that doesn't stress me out. Lord knows I have enough stress in my life that my OB appts should at least be...