or Connect

Posts by fairejour

Most kids are identified at birth through the newborn hearing screen. They fail that test, and then go on to get a test called an ABR, that tells exactly how much hearing loss. They then are fitted for hearing aids, and begin getting visits at home, through early intervention, from a teacher of the deaf and a speech language pathologist. The parents can choose to learn sign language and use that, choose a spoken language path or a little of both. If the child has a...
      My daughter was perfectly healthy. There is no safety issue with being deaf. Without an implant she can learn language, become literate, go to college and be a successful adult. She would be healthy and normal she would just do all that in a different language. Deaf people do not consider themselves as disabled or impaired at all. They consider themselves a cultural and linguistic minority.    Just as I considered what would be best for my daughter's future and what...
  There are risks, just like those with vaccines. In fact, even the risk of death. I believe that an implant will give my child more opportunities than her life without an implant would. I also believe that giving her the meningitis shot before her surgery was less risky than allowing her to have this surgery, which has been know to facilitate meningitis in other kids. But again, other well informed parents believe that sign language is completely non-invasive and will...
  Of course they are. I am altering my daughter's body, without her consent, for what I believe to be the greater good. I could easily choose to not alter it, and leave her alone, and there are pros and cons to each side. It is my job as the parent to determine what is best for my child, and make an informed decision. There is science on both sides, but this is a time sensitive situation, just like vaccinating. A responsible parent, doing their due diligence, could come...
I have a child who is deaf. We chose to have her put under anesthesia, have a hole drilled in her head, and an electrical component placed inside her. We did this to allow her the opportunity to hear. We had to make the decision as her parents because if it is not done in early childhood, she will likely never benefit from it. There are people who believe we are monsters (been called a Nazi, been told that I am committing genocide) because we chose an elective surgery...
My mom used to say "You don't hate me, you are just anger. When you grow up you'll understand the difference."  Pissed me off to no end, but it was a great response!
  Yeah, ours slept in her bed for awhile too. She would go months at 3, and then at 4, and again at 5. It just never ends up being for good. She is back in her bed for this week, but who knows what next week brings.
No help here, my 9 year old is laying next to me instead of DH. She says she wants to be in our bed "because I love you"....how do you say no to that??? She is an only and feels left out that we sleep together and she is left in a room, alone. She makes a good point, I mean we are all a family....
We used to see these guys. They treated my girl great http://www.redwoodpd.com/
I told the school.    Should I follow up? I explained to my DD that it is unacceptable. I am concerned that she didn't tell the teacher. She has had some experiences at school that have led her to believe that telling doesn't help. She feels like they believe other people over her, or that she will get in trouble for "tattling". That is a whole different issue....