or Connect

Posts by KellyGlenn

We also have a concept in Positive Discipline called mistaken goals.   Which words describe YOUR feelings when your daughter is misbehaving?   annoyed, irritated   worried, guilty   challenge, threatened, provoked, defeated   hurt, disappointed, disbelieving, disgusted
elus0814, Using these tools definitely requires a shift in thinking from the way that traditional discipline "thinks."   My personal philosophy is that some behavior issues are completely due to typical development and the rest of behavior issues are about the parent-child relationship. I also believe that most children do want to cooperate when given the opportunity.   About the routine, I'm not sure how a morning routine might be different each morning....
Because this is a long thread, I haven't taken the time to read through every post - just glanced at the first few pages.   I teach Positive Discipline workshops.  Here's a list of tools to prevent power struggles over clothes in the mornings.   1. Create a visual routine chart. Let the child help create the chart. Ask, "What's next on your chart?" so the child is the "boss" of the routine. Here's an article I wrote on this.   2. Spend special time with each...
Hi! I teach Positive Discipline workshops for parents. One tool that might have helped is to validate your child's feelings. I found that often, my kids simply wanted to feel understood.   So the easy formula for validating feelings is, "You feel ______ about ______."  Example: You're sad about having to take a nap right now."  Another way to word this one would be, "You're sad that it's time for a nap and you wish you could play longer." Of course I'm not sure what...
LOL, I meant to say a "chain" lock. Instead I typed "chair lock". :)  
I remember that we had to put a chair lock on our front door when my son was around 3 yo. Safety issues like that are so scary.   One tool is to use is limited choices. You offer two choices - both of which are respectful in the child's view and both of which are acceptable to you.  So then the issue becomes less about a power struggle and more about the child getting to choose.   Example:  Do you want to hop like a bunny to the car or gallop like a...
I'd suggest choosing a time each week that the two of you spend together so that she learns to count on that time with you. Having a time each week will ensure (most of the time) that other things don't get in the way of your mother-daughter time. Also the fact that you are putting her on the calendar each week will demonstrate your commitment to the relationship (without you ever having to say so).   My children are teenagers now, but I have worked hard to spend at...
I have had problems with this type of thing with both of my teenagers - a son who is 17 and a daughter who is 14. My son's BO has gotten better in the last year, but every once in a while I notice it. The other day I picked up my daughter in the car and she got in and took off her jacket. I could hardly stand the smell and I knew if i said anything, she would act offended as she always does. It helps me feel better that I'm not the only one because my husband does have...
Hey, I should have thought to post this to this discussion sooner. Anyway, I live in Greenville, SC, the location of the radio show station where the comments were made. I went to the Greenville, SC Nurse In, took photos and wrote some web articles about it. It was great to meet Elizabeth, the organizer of the event and the other moms who attended the Greenville Nurse In. The 3rd article contains a slide show that you can click through to see about 13 photos of the...
There's a book called "Things To Do with Toddlers and Twos" and another book called, "More Things to Do with Toddlers and Twos". Both are by Karen Miller. My library system has them so yours might too. When my kids were that age, I used lots of ideas out of these books to set up simple things for my kids to play with so I tried to keep them busy with age appropriate educational play. Kids this age are into exploring, exploring, exploring so I tried to direct...