or Connect

Posts by mambera

I have a PhD in neurobiology.  Honestly I left bench science in large part because I felt it was totally incompatible with parenting young children.  Fortunately I also have an MD and was able to transition to a more clinically oriented area of research that is much much more compatible with having young children (and also more remunerative because of the addition of clinical work).  I still don't know if I'm going to make it in academia or not (my publication record has...
Hi luckymama, that sounds like a really tough situation and I don't pretend to have the magic answer I just wanted to add a small tidbit regarding your question about how to get them to try stuff at least once. I have found that the best way for my kids to try something new is for them to have seen it a bunch of times (so it's not really 'new'). The first two, three, four times it shows up on the dinner table they may not touch it and that is OK.  I may encourage them...
 That is a great idea, stormborn and emilysmama.  Thank you!  I am going to try this.
Wow, there seems to be consensus on this.  I guess I am a pushover.   I do send her home for dinner if our main meal is something I know she doesn't eat.  Also dinner at our house is not really 'family time' since DH often doesn't get home till 8 pm, I feed the kids around 5:30-6 and then eat with DH when he gets home.  (We have an agreement with GND's family that the kids get sent to their respective homes at 7pm, prior to that if they are hungry they will be fed...
DD (4) is a fantastic eater.  Loves vegetables of every description, generally meh about most desserts. She gets along really well with the girl next door (7) and they play together a lot.  GND is often here in the evenings and weekends, and things have evolved such that she eats dinner or lunch with us about 3x/week.    Unfortunately GND eats more of a SAD than we do and only has a select few vegetables she is willing to eat.  Not my business except that whenever GND ...
You guys. Sodium, potassium, and phosphate ions are all completely normal components of your body and are crucial for the proper functioning of your heart and nerve cells.   Sodium and potassium phosphates are weak bases which can be used to adjust the pH of whatever you are making - be it a food product or a cleaning product.    The dose makes the poison.  Trace potassium chloride, benign and blends in with your body's normal complement of ions, useful when...
About 30 months with my first (I got pregnant when she was 20 months though, gave tandeming a shot but it really wasn't for us, and tapered her off pretty quickly).  I'm still nursing my second who just turned two.   My biggest issue was supply.  My body seems set to make just as much as is needed with no extra, and there is no way I could pump enough to feed a baby if away from home 40 hours per week.  I worked part-time for a year with my first but I was still away...
 I think the main thing that is important in terms of getting a TT position is publication record and ability to attract research funding.If you are interested in staying in academia, I would try to figure out exactly what is expected in your field (i.e. number/quality of papers and if some type of early-career grant would be typically expected to be in place) to land a TT position, think about how many years from now you would want to be applying, and work backward from...
 Gee, I think I'm a combo of 1, 2, and 5. I would definitely say I work because I love my job, not because we need the money. That said, I definitely would have chosen longer maternity leaves (a year instead of 8 weeks) if it were feasible.  #2 applies in that given I choose to be in the field I am in, then I really cannot take extended periods of time off of work entirely.  The tradeoff is that where I'm at now (academic research), a ton of that can be done at home, at...
  I completely agree.  Some of it has been implemented, to good effect (eg the routine/pre-warning stuff).  Some of it has not been implemented, either because it is already in use or doesn't seem to apply to our situation.     Any set of advice on the internet is going to contain some items that are useful, some that are already being implemented, and some that don't work for the particular situation.  It seems you and I disagree about which category each of the pieces...