or Connect

Posts by mambera

That's pretty lame of your boyfriend to not believe you when you say he is the father.  Hugs to you.   It is definitely possible for two people of mixed race to have a child who is lighter than either of them.  Common even.  Happens all the time.  No DNA mutation needed.    Also skin tone can change pretty significantly over the first year of life - many/most newborns are born with skin noticeably lighter than what they will eventually end up with.   If you...
I think synthetics are prone to this problem.    I'm also on my second cloth-diapered babe and after endless laundry battles the first time around we've had much better luck with an all-prefold stash.  I would boil your prefolds for 30 min (change water and do it again if you see detergent residue coming out) and use only those diapers for a while - no pockets.  If the rash doesn't clear after that I think your plan of switching to flats is good.  Flats are pretty...
I only use shorties when out and about (except in cases where we start at home and return home without unwrapping).  My favorite size is 3.0 meters (long 2/short 3) - this gives me multiple options for front, side, and back carries and can still be worn as a scarf when not in use as a carrier. 
Thanks for your reply.  Really, no liquid for 6-8 hours?  That's interesting.  I actually asked the ped about it today and he wasn't too concerned either (what he actually said was "c'est la vie") so I guess the consensus is I can stop spazzing out about it.  Thanks!
I technically work full time but am out of the house <20 h/week (typically 6 hours 3 days a week).   When I am home I bf her directly and then hand her off to nanny/MIL which works reasonably well.  For when I am out, she has pretty much taken exactly 6 oz for the time I am gone, from ages 4 months to 11 months.   Last week she started refusing any expressed milk at all while I am gone.  My MIL tried bottle, cup, straw, and spoon.  (Apparently DD kept shaking her...
Just saying that personally I would distract or, if necessary, suffer the power struggle for that particular issue.  Certainly CAFO meat is more likely to be contaminated than non-CAFO meat but that doesn't mean non-CAFO meat is risk-free.  Pretty much any slaughtered meat is going to have some degree of contamination from the normal flora of the animal.   As far as the 'traditional cultures eat it!' argument, well, human brains are a traditional food in Papua New...
I'm completely paranoid about choking because DD1 choked on a piece of fruit when she was a baby and I had to Heimlich it out of her.  Scariest ten seconds of my life.  So we do not do BLW here.  At 11 months (and no teeth) DD2 is still on purees/soft foods and foods cut into pieces smaller than her airway.  Last couple of months she's become really determined to bite off her own pieces of food so I have just been steaming everything to a very soft texture before I give...
I'd put this in the 'small chance of something bad happening but not worth the risk' category.  Why does he need to eat raw meat?  I understand he *likes* it, but is it worth it if he ends up with a tapeworm or E.coli O157:H7?
  So I agree that 'giving the child no other option' (eg by refusing to respond to majority-language requests) is more likely to produce expressive capacity than not doing so (eg simply using the minority language when speaking to the child).  But it will not *necessarily* result in native or near-native fluency in all cases (some children will acquire only basic home-environment competence, perhaps with a notable accent), and it is not a *necessary* component for all...
  Absolutely, a great degree of control for sure (I think we *do* agree about that!)  Just not *total* control.  I'd say that by maintaining constant exposure you can pretty much guarantee the acquisition of passive understanding (which is a lot IMO!), and possibly the acquisition of some degree of expressive capacity (by requiring that the child speak the language in order to function at home).  I think the difference between basic expressive capacity and native or...