or Connect

Posts by mambera

Personally I don't feel there's a particular advantage to learning letters/numbers 'early' vs 'late.'  He's going to know how to read in the long run so what's the difference how quickly it happens?  There is however a huge long-term advantage in maintaining exposure to the minority language.  (Especially if you don't plan to maintain a Russian-speaking nanny through your child's teenage years.)   That said, what's wrong with encouraging the recognition of English...
Just coming back to say the titanium earrings totally worked!  Thanks LCB!!!
So, a better update!  Last night we tried a slight stagger of mealtimes and I think this is going to work much better for us.   I concentrated on having the kids' food (i.e. all the sides for DD1 - corn on the cob, sauteed padron peppers, green salad with quinoa, plus a hardboiled egg just for her and also an egg yolk and some potato/broccoli mash for DD2) ready to go right when DH walked in the door at 7:30.  He then fed the kids while I made our food (grilled...
So last night it was just me and the kids because DH had an evening meeting of the homeowners assn, and it was actually way more stressful.   6:30 I put DD1's food on the table and start feeding DD2 in the high chair 6:40 DD1 comes in after repeated requests, sits in chair for a microsecond, takes two bites of food, starts playing with the belt on DD2's chair.  DD2 stops eating and starts watching DD1 and laughing.  I tell DD2 to stop playing with the belt and get...
Thanks for all the input everyone.  It's interesting to see what different people do.  I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is making this so difficult for us.  I think some of the elements are   - Late night dinner: DH often doesn't get home until 7:30 or even later, so we are frequently sitting down to dinner at 8pm.    I feed DD1 some fruit and milk beforehand so she's not starving, but this means she's not super excited for dinner either.  And she's never...
I think the anti-FFO claims for overstimulation are overstated, you can read your own baby.  My first went through a period around 4-6 months of demanding to be FFO so she could see the world. My second babe is cuddlier and does seem like she could get overstimulated by FFO so we don't do it.   If you think your babe might like FFO you can try kangaroo/buddha carry with froggied legs in your ring sling.  Four months is a good time for this, babe has enough head...
We have a 3 y/o and an 8 m/o.  I would really like us all to sit down for a meal in the evening but when we do it is invariably a stressful experience where we are constantly trying to keep the 3 y/o in her chair, hold the squirmy baby, and attempt to get some food in both of them, never mind trying to eat ourselves.  DH thinks we should just feed them first and then eat separately ourselves.  I agree this is much less stressful but I am wondering how we will ever teach...
Why didn't you like Mirena?  Did you have a bad reaction to it or is it a philosophical desire to avoid hormones?  FWIW the dose is extremely low.
I have some meshies but not enough and also they are not very sturdy, they are getting destroyed after a couple of years of not-heavy use.  I mostly reuse the plastic ones as others have said.
I like my Maya but haven't tried any other ring slings for comparison.  I do love the pocket actually, I never unthread the sling so that isn't an issue (if I want to back carry I use a wrap).  It's extremely handy for not having to juggle a bag in addition to the two kids, a grocery cart and whatever else.