or Connect

Posts by allgirls

I have been trying to heal myself from some plaguing conditions with food and hae just started to come to the conclusion that I may have some issues with wheat. So I have given up wheat competely. I also have cut out sugar but that's for another reason. So last night I developed a headache and it's still there this morning. I also have a shakey feeling although I'm not really shakey(not making sense here) What I'm wondering is if this is commonly a symptom of...
Quote: Originally Posted by I-AM-Mother please correct me if I am wrong, but do most of the mothers who read UP believe that without the book they would not know how to properly mother their children? i'm not talking to the mothers who were abused either, but those that come from more stable healthy upbringings. nope..but it did clarify for me why I felt so different from other parents, why some of the things I did or didn't do that people...
Quote: Originally Posted by lolalola It's very 'heady', and short on common sense. Lots of 'mommy guilt'. Yay! Are you sure we are talking about the same book? Which book are you talking about? I think I've read all of Alphie Kohn's books and quite a few of his articles and I've never gotten that sense from anything he's ever written. yeah, it's a paradigm shift and yeah, it's about a different philosophy from the mainstream, crime and...
Quote: Originally Posted by prettypixels I think I would seriously pass out if someone told me they use a spoon on their kid!!!!! Yikes!!! Me too...I was thinking...what's wrong with spoons...my kids use spoons and then I realised what she meant
I think if we raise kind, compassionate and empathetic adults then that will carry them well in society. I don't want my children to conform to rules just to fit in(that's a recipe for disaster) but I don't want them to consider the rules and make judgements as to whether in that moment, that time and place in those exact circumstances if that rule is worth following or not. I teach the value behind the words. And if they forget the words occasionally that's ok. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by PiePie according to parenting your toddler, by the barnard folks, it is not developmentally appropriate to expect toddlers to share or even to talk turns. Yes. And I agree. Mine will often cooperate but if they don't I know it's completely normal behaviour and I don't sweat it. But you can start modelling and showing them, mine have learned it surprisingly early and well.
Quote: Originally Posted by lesmac Read Sarah Napthali's Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children. Then read it again. and keep it nearby, like in the bathroom..pick it up, let it open to a page and read whatever is on the page
Quote: Originally Posted by I-AM-Mother because i have heard of a new philosophy that parents are getting into where they never say no to a child. i'mma do some research and get back to you. yeah..that's not exactly what it is though. It's more of rephrasing things in a more positive way and not using the word "no". It's not about never saying "no" or setting boundaries, it's about setting those boundaries in a more positive way, with more...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kiera09 I have family that does it. "Can I have the pink cup?" "I already poured your milk into the yellow one" "wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I want the pink cup" "fine - here's a pink cup"... I do this with my nearly 3 year old and I did it with my 5 year old. For me it was more about choosing my battles. I probably did it with my older girls too, don't remember. Not worth the power struggle. Sitting in her...
Quote: Originally Posted by I-AM-Mother Is there a book out that I don't know about that explains this new philosophy of only saying "yes" to a child. I don't think so, or at least I haven't read it. I do rarely say "no" but that is not the same always saying yes. That for me just means I tell my children what they might do to replace what they are doing. example. Jumping on Grandma's couch...instead of "no, don't jump on Grandma's...