or Connect

Posts by ComplexOphelia

Oh, gosh, I know.  I was really nervous at 28 weeks, but genuinely thought, "Ok, I'm going to be having this baby soon, so, all right," at that point.  Now as we come closer and closer to full term, I want it so badly - and it's actually within reach.  I'm having major anxiety attacks in a way that I haven't yet in this pregnancy, because I actually am believing that I COULD have a full-term baby, which I haven't believed at all through the course of this.  It's...
I'm so glad the babies are here and healthy, but it does mean a certain amount of freaking out is going on over here, too ...   How many pillows are you sleeping with?  If I keep two pillows between my legs while I'm sleeping it helps with hip pain, but really the only thing that "fixes" it (briefly) is seeing a chiro for me.  I've been having way more radiating hip/back pain lately and think it means that Little Boy's head is engaged or in the process of engaging....
I actually called where I buy my diapers from, and they said meconium has never been an issue for them, so I'm just doing the cloth.  But, I don't really care about stains - I just want to know that they're clean.  They suggested cutting up old t-shirts and putting them in as liners if we're concerned about it, which seems like a great idea if staining is a concern!  The only disposables I'm comfortable using are the 7th Generation ones, and not only are they stupidly...
Yeah, a 36-weeker is a "preemie," but you're not likely to have many problems if that happens.  Lots of 36-weekers don't even need the NICU at all, and at this point, the chances of developmental issues from prematurity are extremely slim.  The biggest hurdle for most 36-weekers, I think, is that establishing breastfeeding can be more difficult than with a full term baby, but it's definitely a hurdle that can be overcome if so.  I breathed a big ole sigh of relief when I...
There have been times that I've noticed a smell that I'd describe as "earthy," very similar to when I have my period.  The way my body smells in general is pretty different right now - not unpleasantly so, I wouldn't describe it as bad BO, it's just ... different.  Maybe we're gearing up so our babies can recognize us when they come?  Smell is so important to newborns recognizing their Mommas!
Welcome Earthside, Andrew Theodore!  Congratulations on your new son, Mama!   I don't know if you've been over there yet, but the MDC NICU and Preemie Parenting boards were really, really helpful to me during our NICU stay.  I hope (and totally expect!) you'll have a short, uneventful stay and both be home really soon.  Please keep us updated when you can!
  I also didn't mean to come off so mean!  In my first pregnancy, I was spilling protein in my urine all through and my BP was borderline.  My care providers ignored it and told me I could too - and then I got slammed with very severe pre-e, and by the time anyone was trying to treat it, it was way too late.  My son was born at 28 weeks weighing 2 pounds, I had to spend 2 weeks in the ICU - just horrible all around.  So my reaction is to be much more proactive when...
Oh, and (because I don't know how to edit posts yet), I totally understand your hating the constant worry, and I hope I haven't added to that!  At this point, u/s is definitely not totally accurate.  The margin of error they always give me at my MFM office for Baby's weight is +/- 10%.  The u/s tech at our office often goes, "He weighs 6 pounds!" and I always go, "...-ish.  He weighs 6-ish pounds."  Remembering that u/s is not an exact science is really important when...
Quote:   The reason to have ultrasounds is to make sure that everything is okay.  If something shows up on u/s that could be a concern, that is absolutely a reason to have more ultrasounds, and possibly a reason to consider intervening.  It'd be great if every single pregnancy were hunky-dory and there were no problems ever, but that's not the case.  Sometimes intervention is life-saving and necessary.  I know that "low fluid" is the new "big baby" reason for c-sections,...
This is so beautiful!  We did a henna belly at 28 weeks but it didn't stick - I'm seeing my doula this weekend and asking if we can try again.  Maybe I'll load this picture so she can do one that looks like this - I looove this design!