or Connect

Posts by APToddlerMama

Maybe not unwillingness on her part by honestly there is a startling breakdown there if she doesn't feel she has options. I'm not even working anymore but I could make a few calls and probably have fifty families dying to adopt a drug exposed newborn within a day. I do notlive in a particularly open minded part of the county either and I worked in what was at that time considered the most racially segregated city in the country.... Totally common for people to be very...
I can't ETA from my phone but Smithie-- going back to my original point--it's a fact that there is a surplus of families hoping to adopt newborns of any race in this country. The fact that apparently the system isn't working properly in all parts of the country to ensure that birth mothers are made aware of all these options does not change that fact. There is no need for American families to line up in droves to adopt African American newborns. Apparently there is a...
Smithie. I know how adoption works. I've done very few domestic adoptions because I worked in SN but I'm bilingual and nobody else in our agency was so I did do domestic adoptions as well as birth parent counseling from time to time. Also while I mostly did SN state adoptions, i worked for two private agencies who both held contracts with the state to do the entire adoption process, so I'm very familiar with he process from that standpoint.If an agency OR a lawyer...
That is just mind blowing to me and if social workers have so few options readily available, it means there is a huge breakdown in the system because there are so many families hoping to adopt infants of any race with significant special needs. To me it says social workers and agencies aren't willing to put in the time to consider ICPC or inter-agency placements which is too bad for everyone. And while 2-3 families isn't a lot to be interested in adopting one child, it...
I agree with all of this. It truly irritates me to hear people say nobody is willing to adopt African American babies. I worked mainly in special needs foster adoptions, and no joke, I had a four year old African American boy with an autism spectrum disorder on my caseload and I literally had over fifty home studies submitted for him. Similar situation with a four year old African America girl who had disrupted out of THREE adoptive placements due to severe behavioral...
I'm so sorry for your loss . Wishing you peace and healing.
Ouch! I wouldn't call it "ridiculous high school crap" to care if "my kids are good enough to hang out with schooled kids.". Yes, I do care because I care about my kids' happiness. I do want them to feel comfortable hanging out with all sorts of people and it just so happens that the homes homeschooled people I know are very awkward and unable to socialize well with different types of people. I think that is very unfortunate and I don't want that for my kids because I...
Thank you everyone . One other question.... If your kids are involved in sports or community activities not just designated for homeschoolers, do your kids have a hard time fitting in with children who attend school? Do you perceive there to be a stigma related to homeschooling?
OP--any updates?
How are things going? Did you have the ultrasound?