or Connect

Posts by Guinevere

Raises hand. Another oversensitive to hair brushing, etc. kiddo here. It's funny in a way, b/c Sophie is so undersensitive to many stimuli, but not on her scalp. No way!   I persevere anyway with styling her hair, b/c she's really got to have it out of her face or she gets food in it and such. So we keep it long with no bangs, and then I french braid it or put it in various configurations of pigtails or ponytails. She usually doesn't mind the actual braiding/styling...
    Hi there,   I'm sorry for your previous losses -- no matter how long you are pg, it's still emotionally painful to look forward with hope and excitement and then have those hopes dashed.   I wanted to touch on the point you made above. While there may not be conclusive evidence that progesterone supplementation improves pg outcomes, there is ample documentation showing that both progesterone and estrogen levels begin to decline after the age of 35, with...
Sophie's not old enough to need a watch yet, but she has several older sibs who are super-hard on electronics of all sorts. The only watch that has lived longer than a few months in our house is a Timex Indiglo.   HTH, Guin
Can't speak to the price, since our sessions were covered by insurance, but Sophie (who has Down Syndrome) did hippotherapy from age 21 months to almost 4 years (when she was diagnosed with a spinal instability and had to stop ) and it was the BEST thing we've ever done, therapy-wise. Really, I can't recommend it enough.   When Soph started, she had *just* learned to walk, wasn't talking yet, wasn't signing yet, and she was a sensory mess, to put it mildly. Within...
It sounds like a few things might be going on. Your two younger sons don't sound as self-directed in their interests as your older DD and DS. Not all children are. To some extent, we have a similar dynamic in our family, where my oldest two kiddos have extremely focused interests that they spend a great deal of time and energy pursuing, while my 8 and 6 yos are much more aimless about what they might want to do and would happily spend all day in front of a screen or...
I agree that having her evaluated is your best next step; you've already received good advice about writing a letter to the district ASAP to get the ball rolling; these things always take longer than you expect (in our experience.)   My almost 7 yo DD, who was recently dx with dyslexia, has these same problems. Telling time, the order of the months of the year, even the order of the alphabet and higher numbers are all extremely difficult for her. But she is also...
I wanted to respond so that you know you're not alone in these struggles, even though our experiences were not exactly the same.   My now-5 yo DD Sophie has Down Syndrome, and we have dealt with a number of feeding issues since her birth. She was a preemie and was O2 dependent for a while, but with a lot of effort, I did eventually get her nursing exclusively at around 3 mos. of age. Then, at 10 months, she had the misfortune of cutting her first 8 teeth...
Hi there! :)   I completely understand where you're coming from in realizing that you are indeed uniquely suited to take on adopting a child with SN. It's something DH and I have discussed at length, as well -- we've decided to wait until our kiddos are a little older, though, before seriously looking into it.   I just wanted to gently point out, as the parent of a DD with Down Syndrome, that it's just not possible to determine what level of functioning a child will...
I watched a similar situation with a good friend and her family for over 6 years and it was a hot mess, to be honest.   Never enough money, her DH was not a good and functional caretaker for their young children, and she didn't want to leave her babies, so she worked from home, but didn't make enough to support them without relying on a ton of social services. Several of their kids have special needs themselves, which has added to their overall burden. And they just...
I just made them up as I went, using real food as my "pattern." I'm sure I perused various online sources, but since this was almost 10 years ago, I don't have any current links to share; I'm sorry!   Guin