or Connect

Posts by Tumble Bumbles

pek64 -- very true. This probably wouldn't happen until we moved.
Thanks for the replies! We do have a nice coffee table my husband and his dad built that I'm considering making our 'everything' table. I agree with Logan -- we've always eaten meals as a family regardless of sitting at a designated table. It's this mental thing I have where I think we "should" have a table because everyone else does. You'd think after so many years of doing things the general population finds weird I wouldn't care what people thought of us not having a...
What gives me inspiration are pictures of people living minimally on purpose with families. For me, it would be SOO easy to be a minimalist if it were just me, even just me and dh -- but enter kids into the picture with their own needs and desires and some of the more popular minimalist blogs/pictures can be a bit unrealistic (imo). So, it's awesome when I see people living simply without a lot of 'stuff' in families.   Also, I love empty spaces. It gives me a thrill...
Thanks for the interesting and thoughtful replies!   I'm just trying to be aware of what I think I "need" extra of and constantly reevaluate. I did recently find a shirt I LOVE at Ross, so I bought two of them (black low-V long tee with stretch, fit and looked GREAT). I did that because I know Ross changes their stock constantly (close-outs and such) so to me that was a smart buying decision. So I will wear the one until it wears out then have the other.
So, in my quest for minimalism -- I've been pondering having just *one* of the things people typically have more than one of. Does that make sense? Here's an example: bibs.   We have exactly one bib in use and have had excactly one bib in use since babe was about 8 months old. I got tired of washing, looking for, storing bibs. It's a sturdy, wipeable vinyl bib. I feel like only having one bib has helped us take better care of it. It's still going strong! We take The...
Thanks for the input! I have friends who don't have a dining room table -- they have tv trays on stands that fit in a small 'holder' that came with it when not in use. It seems very 70's to me lol but that's cuz tv trays were all the rage then... They don't watch tv when they eat, it's just a place to put the plates while they sit in their normal seating. That's an idea (I'm just thinking out loud).   Ikea makes a table and chair set where the chairs fit almost...
  I left out the suggestions that didn't apply -- but thank you so much for your input! I'm considering my options :)
The minimalist furniture thread got me thinking about our furniture situation -- but I didn't want to hack the thread. I'm a total minimalist at heart, fairly minimalist in practice.  We recently created a cozy guest space in our dining area because it was largely unused (just a dining room table and chairs) and we do have fairly frequent overnight guests. We moved our dining room table and chairs to the living/family room and made it sort of a great room. I feel that it...
I'm not in your position but I wanted to chime in and tell you to never feel weird about posting about finances in a finance forum! Sure, many people are in different circumstances but the weight of debt is very real and can be pretty stressful -- even if you're doing well financially.   One of my bff's is in your position (yes, it is a friend and not really me LOL). We make so much less money than she/dh but because of all their debt (student loans and etc...while...