or Connect

Posts by go_blue

I rinsed used pads with my diaper sprayer to get the majority of blood out.  It still stained, but not as much.   I also soaked mine in vinegar and water and would wash whenever I did a load of normal wash (warm cycle).   I prefer not to soak with diapers because some of the blood would seep out and darken the soaking water.  Remarkably, our diapers are very white without using any kind of bleach product, and I want to keep them that way for now.  So I do a...
Thanks for sharing your insights!
I haven't had my homebirth yet, it will be next month.  I am 37 and expecting #2.  From my understanding (very limited), the primary issue with mothers > 35 is chromosomal, namely Downs Syndrome (which is really at greater risk after age 40).  I don't think it would have any effect on labor and delivery - I have never seen maternal age or Downs as high-risk reasons when homebirth would not be recommended.  Eat a healthy diet, exercise and take care of yourself and that...
I had an u.s. b/c my first midwife said it was useful to diagnose placenta previa and condition of heart valves.  If either were poor, a homebirth would not be possible.  Looking back on it, I don't regret the decision to pursue an u.s. since it is my first homebirth (DD1 was born in hospital).  BUT, my back-up family doctor (in WI midwives don't usually have back-up doctor in consultation), ordered the u.s.  and based on my age, she requested an AMA u.s. (advanced...
I was dealing with the same concern, but finally decided that my DD (3 yo) would spend the day (hopefully just hours :) at grandma's house until a few hours after new baby is born.  I was considering to have a doula at home with the midwives and my husband would be primary caretaker for my DD, but I really preferred husband to be at my side.  After I had a consultation with a doula who told me her experience during her homebirth with child present, I decided that it...
I am very drawn to unschooling and have read some of John Holt's books.  Here is my dilemma: How do I know whether I am cut out to have the patience and perserverence to homeschool my children?  Does it get easier to homeschool an older child (say 6 yo) than a younger child (say 3yo?)  What characteristics do you think parents of successful homeschooling (and unschooling) families have?   I am presently a SAHM of DD, 3 yo.  I have baby #2 on the way next month. ...
My husband and I will be relocating back to Milwaukee next month for work and family reasons. We will likely settle in northern suburbs (Mequon or Thiensville) to minimize my husband's commute. Can you recommend your pediatrician? I prefer a ped who is hands-off when it comes to parenting choices (I don't want advice about sleeping arrangements, etc) and is open to a delayed and selective vaccination schedule. Thanks in advance.
My husband and I are most likely relocating back to Milwaukee for work and family reasons. One of my few regrets of the move is leaving my daughter's current in-home Montessori program (she's in a Children's House). Are there any home-based Montessori programs in the northern burbs of Milwaukee? We will likely settle in Mequon or Thiensville in order to minimize my husband's commute. My quick google searches have not yielded anything, but I know in-home Montessori...
I used Melissa Haskins from Renaissance Doulas. I thought she was great. I had an opportunity to meet many doulas from Renaissance and I felt comfortable with all of them. I liked that Melissa had a good sense of how much support to provide without over-doing it. My husband thought she was great, too.
You're right, housing will be much more expensive than in Nebraska. Earlier post of $350k is reasonable, and your house and yard will be modest. State income taxes in OR are HIGH! 9%!!!! WA state income tax is 0%; you may want to take this into consideration. I live in close-in PDX, in a neighborhood called Cedar Mill. It's not a cheap suburb, but location is convenient. I find other costs to be reasonable (food, utilities, etc). But housing and taxes are the...