or Connect

Posts by malayasmommy

This is the OP again, just thought I'd add that she's not in kindergarden this year (she just turned 5 in Jan.), and I think part of her problem is that she's really BORED. We have tried to get her involved in activities, but between her brother's afternoon nap and me working at 3pm, she spends most of her days at home with no kids her age. She is super peer-focused and I do think she might be better off with more interaction with kids (she does preschool, gymnastics,...
Everyone who meets my child comments on how kind, fun-loving, thoughtful, well-behaved and outgoing my daughter is. And when we are around other people, she IS all of those things, and more. She is incredibly intuitive and feeling. Around us though, she often seems very angry, moody, sad, and says very negative things about herself. For example, today she was taking a bath with our 2-year-old son and she started to squirt some water directly into his ear. I saw it at...
My daughter, who will be 5 in a few weeks, has so many wonderful traits...she is extremely caring and sensitive, outgoing and social, thoughtful, well behaved especially when she is around others, and very open to trying new experiences (she is always the kid jumping in the middle of the group to start dancing; or have a big smile on her face when trying a new activity). However, she has been SO negative lately.  Constantly complaining how we never buy her anything,...
My 4.5-year-old was a “nuk” baby—we had a terrible time getting rid of it at age 3 (just for naps and bedtime since age 2), but had to because it caused the roof of her mouth to be misshapen.  It was by far the thing that calmed her down the most, and we really have been unable to find something that helps her stay as calm as she was when she had the nuk.   For a while she was doing OK without it, but in the last 2 mos or so she’s started chewing on her hair.  Which...
I think you have to look at your children's personalities.  I used to think along the same lines as you, but my daughter is super outgoing and very physical--she adores her gymnastics class and swimming lessons.  (My husband and I have decided anyway that the ability to swim in a must-have skill in our home.)  She is much happier, and has much less attention-seeking behaviors, when she is active and social.  My son is a little on the quieter side, he might do a lot less...
I went to Whole Foods and they told me that melatonin given any higher than .5mg has been shown to cause seizures...so it made me a little too nervous to give it to him.  Now he won't go down for a nap. The anger and frustration I'm feeling is very intense right now...as horrible and detrimental as I feel CIO is, I can't help but wonder if that's less harmful than me not being able to control this anger I feel when I'm so beyond exhausted right now.  Ugh...
Great idea about the melatonin...I've tried Calms Forte but I'm not great at giving it to him at 15 min increments (I don't want to turn on a light) so I don't know that it does much. The first few times this happened we did try to see if he needed food, and then when he didn't we did just let him play...now we don't want him to think that when he wakes up it's playtime so we just rock him...and rock him...and rock him...but it drives me nuts!  So we try to "not...
My 15-month-old son is normally rocked to sleep.  This had been working ok, with of course some bumps along the road, but until a few months ago he was doing great with nighttime sleep. Almost nightly over the last 2 months, he wakes up around 11pm and is up until about 3am...EVERY NIGHT.  We rock him in a dark room, and he just wiggles around and points at the door to go out of the room and fusses.  Occasionally he's hungry, most of the time he wants to play.  He...
My 4.5 year old daughter is a social butterfly, and especially this spring/summer has really come into her own.  She's found some neighborhood friends she plays with in the evening, and she loves being with them.  She's with me during the day (I work evenings), and unless we are going to a park or a playdate with other kids she is constantly complaining that she's bored and she doesn't want to be "stuck with boring old mom".  I have a one-year-old who I also have to keep...
It seems as though everything I read in the Natural Parenting community says "they don't self-wean before 18 mos to 2 years", and I haven't seen any specific scientific data, but I'm inclined to believe that it's true in many cases.  It's what I WANT to be true in my case!  On Tuesday it'll be 2 weeks since he's nursed.  I do skin-to-skin a few times during the day, and while that seems comforting to him, he will push away the breast when offered.  He seems to be his...