or Connect

Posts by r&mmommy

Quote: Originally Posted by JL83 I think your brother is being unreasonable. It's not his job to stay with the kid. I've been a coach for youth soccer for many many years. It's his job to take care of the kid for a specific time period (in my case, I always said that I would stay for 10 minutes after the end of the game/practice). Then he releases the kid, unless the family makes other arrangements. I had MANY kids that age walk or bike to games...
Quote: This is funny about the effort. Sometimes the best thing for your family is to make the choice that requires the least effort because it means more family time, etc. Or the best choice, in someone else's opinion, may look like less effort to you. For example, I researched, read, read, and read and decided that vaxing was the best option. It isn't always that those who have put forth more "effort" don't vax. I know lots of informed folks who do vax and...
Quote: Originally Posted by VisionaryMom I must say I've never heard of that being the rule, and I've been around tons of kids' activities. Even on select teams my family members have participated in, the coaches cannot just say "you paid your fees, but your parents are late. Tough, you're off the team." They may choose (in some cases) to sit the child out, but they cannot just kick them off the team (and really you're hurting the child more if you'd...
Quote: Your brother cannot simply tell the child he cannot come anymore. Your brother's not in charge of the league, and that's not his call. This is not the case around here. Coaches are in charge of their team and have that authority. OP - Again I would suggest making sure your brother checks the league rules for his particular organization.
I agree with the posters who have said to ask your child. I also think it would be okay to ask the parents if you can meet them there and tell them why. For the life of me, I can't imagine another parent not being okay with that (because really, who wants a child vomiting in their car if they can avoid it ) And yes, I have turned down party invites, but usually because we have another obligation that time or day. ETA: OOPs, cross posted with the OP and didn't see the...
I'm assuming this is a league and there are administrators? They must have a policy about this and I would find out what it is before doing anything. That said, I would have removed the child from the team before calling the police. (and yes, that's sad, but not as sad as being investigated and possibly removed from your home).
Quote: Originally Posted by Raine822 Oh, the other one I forgot to mention was when we arrived DH took DD2 in the elevator and I took DD1 on the escalator. Some woman walked up and took DDs other hand and started talking to her like I would. I don't like to make a scene but I found this very inappropriate. Oh my gosh! I would have said something to the woman. How bizarre she thought she could do that. Older kids - this is one of my pet...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dandelionkid And why can't there be more honesty in North American culture? I would much rather know if I offended someone than wonder why someone was "distancing" themselves from me. You're kidding, right? It seems like everything is cause for confrontation these days. I thought the guests behavior was appalling, and went way beyond a simple misunderstanding. And it would have been one thing had the OP said her...
Quote: Originally Posted by eclipse I think a lot of the things she did were rude. However, I think you were rude after the fact, too. Telling someone they lack class generally does more to reflect on the speaker's class than the listener. This. Yes, she was rude. But if I invite someone to my home and they behave that way - I think they are not "my" people and distance myself. Why does everything have to be a confrontation? Let it go.
I found 3's to be very difficult. I *try* to take a deep breath and ask if this is a hill to die on. Some things I try to get them to comply (like when we NEED to leave somewhere) Make sure there is plenty of notice. (I like 5-3-1) Turn it in to a game (do you want to hop like a bunny or wiggle out to the car? Can you carry Mama?) And sometimes, I will need to (gently) pick up my child and bring them to where they need to be. Eating - I am not a short order...