or Connect

Posts by berkeleyp

I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for or how tight the budget is but reading your desires reminded of me of what I've heard about "Moving Beyond the Page".  I've not tried this curriculum yet myself but have heard great things about it.  It is secular, literature based, and ties language arts, science, and social studies together in units. You might want to check out the review/discription here: http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=6&category=8068....
I just started out this past fall so I'm no expert but I have a shelf space dedicated to homeschool books including Usborne Science and History Encyclopedias and other reference books.  I have my daughter keep her notebooks and workbooks in a backpack that hangs on the coat rack - she is supposed to keep a pencil case in it too so we can just grab the bag and take out some work.   Our library books (of which there are generally 30-50) are in a basket next to the couch...
Check out http://www.ct-cheer.com/.  
I am really enjoying Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding with my kids.  We are doing 2nd grade and working through the first book at a rate of about one lesson per week.  I like it because it is very open ended and leaves me a lot of control while providing a framework.  It is somewhat work intensive on my part but not too bad.  I read the chapter for each lesson and write myself a quick outline, then I get the recommended books from the library and get...
I don't think you can do any more than voice your genuine concern and offer to help perhaps.  if you watch the kids sometimes, why not just make reading an integral part of your time with them.  This will have an enormous benefit for them and will improve your relationship with them too.  I know you are acting out of concern but ultimately it's your mom's decision.  
I'm taking my dd7 out of school after she finishes first grade this Friday. She is SUPER excited about homeschool and asked me to get her a math book plus she wants to learn French and Spanish and Sign Language and read and have a penpal and learn piano and guitar.  I'm tired just reading the list.  As a result, we are jumping in (already started reading The Story of the World and getting related books to read which she loves).  I'm not tied to any particular schedule...
I'm just getting started as my dd7 is still in ps finishing 1st grade but we've been going at a slower pace and will continue on the same stuff for a few weeks to kick off summer.     We've read Story of the World chapter 1 and just read the first part of chapter 2 on hunter/gatherers.  We've got half a dozen books on early humans including some DK and Usborne encyclopedia types and we need to start our Binder.     We are also working on daily piano practice and...
I have a friend who loved Muzzy for her child starting around that age.  She did German.  I think any exposure to another language is great for babies neuron development that will enable them to learn languages in the future.  I bet just watching or listening to shows/movies/book on CD in another language would be great for them.     Are you planning on teaching a language you already know?  If so, just speaking to babe and pointing to things will go a long way.
Bingo.  So far, she loved reading The Story of the World and likes the idea of putting together our own binder that will have information about what we're learning.  Last night she begged to stay up longer to finish a book about archaeology.   I don't think she sees this stuff as something other than reading interesting stuff.  I love learning new things that are "academic" in nature and I think that rubs off on my dd.  She loves to write and draw so making a binder for...
I am pulling my dd7 out of school after next week when she finishes first grade.  I have been obsessively reading lots of different hs books and building up an outline of what I want to do.  I bought SOTW and already read one chapter with her and got half a dozen books from the library that relate.  I settled on a math program but haven't purchased yet and am considering what I want for Reading/Writing/Spelling if anything.     I am so excited about homeschool, I...