or Connect

Posts by April Dawn

OK, so I've been trying to "pet" DS gently on the back and tell him "gentle!" He thinks it's really funny, and I think that's great - maybe the humor will help him remember what gentle means.   I do have a cute story for you all. He was trying to pet the dog earlier when she just wanted a nap. She was tolerating it, but kept trying to roll away and just really didn't want to play. So I told him "Doggie doesn't want to play right now, she's tired. We will pet her...
That's a really cute idea, I will try it! Thanks!  
Hi all, My son (just turned two) absolutely adores our dog and our cat. The problem is that he gets super excited when he plays with them. Hugging them often turns into squeezing, and his idea of petting them is so hard it's almost hitting. I worry he will actually hurt them, or that they will get fed up and snap at him. He's not trying to be mean or rough, he's just overly enthusiastic in showing how much he loves them. He doesn't seem to understand what he's doing...
I would love one of these!   My DH wears our son a lot. I think to encourage dads to babywear, one thing that's important is making it easy to put baby in the carrier. My DH would never use a wrap or a mei tai when I used those, but he finally got an SSC and loves it because he doesn't have to figure out how to tie or wrap anything - just buckle up and go!   I think guy-friendly fabrics help too. I use a brown Kanga XT with a cute farmyard print on it when I...
I think you have to know what works for your child.  I never planned to have DS in many structured activities; I used to babysit a couple of kids who were overscheduled and stressed and I didn't want to do that.  So for a while I had DS in one very unstructured playgroup and that was it.  As it turned out, that didn't work for him at all.  He was cranky with unscheduled days, and the unstructured playgroup was overwhelming for him, with kids running everywhere doing...
nm
Thanks for the advice.  I ended up buying some new pacis (just in case the silicone on the old ones was wearing out and making it easier to chew through).  And I gave him one at bedtime.  He was just not going to go to bed without it.  I also gave him one at naptime and bedtime today.  I am trying to tell him "The paci is for when you sleep" but he's pretty mad about it, honestly.  :(  He was really unhappy when I took it after his nap and I felt like a big meanie.  But...
nm
 It does stink right now, and he's probably mad, but he WILL get over it.  My DS had a badly sprained knee at 16 months.  He went through a lot of procedures - DH and I and the doctors couldn't tell where the pain was at first and thought it might be the stomach, so he went through a bunch of abdominal xrays, catheterization, and ultrasound.  Then we realized it was the leg and he had more xrays of that.  He was furious.  He was extra clingy for a few weeks.  But after a...
My 20 month old son loves his paci.  He pretty much uses it most of the time.  I've been ok with that in the past; he's not one to go charging into new things and is pretty cautious, and having the paci seems to comfort him when he's stressed and help him deal with everyday frustrations.  But today, he started chewing on it and nearly chewed the tip off!  I am worried that it's a safety issue now for him to have one.  So I took it.  But he's been crying all afternoon and...