or Connect

Posts by AmandaHope

Congratulations, ESCHER! Wow! So exciting.  Fingers crossed for an easy, healthy pregnancy for your DP.   Welcome to Coco, too!    Sphinxy: really glad that you are getting some energy back. What a relief!   Starling: That is just heartbreaking.  The child's best possible welfare and outcome should be the guiding criteria, not bureaucracy and rules.  I get the reasons for having policies like not "twinning," but the specific context matters a great deal, and...
Whoa!! That's incredibly exciting, and also overwhelming, for sure.  Who will be carrying this time around?  I'm thrilled about all the Chicago area queer mama babies to come in the next year or two.  And as for the sleeping thing, I completely understand about missing her at night. I would, too! She is such a love.     Cananny: Congrats on Finn's imminent arrival home! Hope his brothers follow suit shortly.  How are you doing? How are you adjusting to the idea of having...
Sling recommendations: my very favorite for the newborn and early infancy phases is the Moby wrap (or other stretchy wraps--I think Boba has one now); second on the list is a ring sling (preferably a wrap conversion ring sling, but that's getting unnecessarily fancy--just don't get a padded one, which can be hard to slide through the rings).  Third on the list would be a soft structured carrier, such as an Ergo, Boba, or (my personal favorite) a Kanga (though Kangas are...
Lise: So scary!  I am hugely relieved that you are home and that your OB figured out that there was a false alarm.  Good reason to insist on repeat testing whenever there is something funny going on. Whew! Sorry about the PUPPS, though. UGH. I can understand your feeling like you're in limbo land. As hard as it is to stay there for another month, I hope you do.  Is there anything any of us can do to help you through this a bit?     Isa: Glad you got a good night's...
Knitting: Enjoy the shower! (and eyeroll to the OB--sheesh!)   Planet: So sorry about the head bonk. I understand how it feels terrible.  Glad he's fine. And now you've gotten through an always-unpleasant milestone...   Cananny: SO GLAD you are getting to enjoy skin to skin and nursing time.  Lilah is 19 months, and we both get totally blissed out when she nurses, staring up at me with those deep brown eyes.  It is just the most amazing thing in the whole wide...
Oh WOW great news! Do you mind telling us what city/region you'll be moving back to? And what size are you? I'm an XL and have a bin full of maternity clothes. PM me if you're interested or want details; I'd be happy to send them to you if they'd work.  (This goes for anyone else, too, if Sphinxy passes).    Welcome to Erin, too!   Here's a pic of the "Snow Mommy" that the girls made while I was on campus for 14 hours for an out-of-town speaker on Tuesday.   
I'm struggling about how to be on this board, but I just can't keep up and respond as I'd like to to everyone's exciting news and lovely everyday thoughts, and I don't want to be too lurky.  So I think I'll just jump in when I have a strong practical opinion about something helpful, or when there is major news, or when I have a little extra time just to catch up.   So for today...   Cananny: I'm definitely keeping up on facebook, but you deserve major CONGRATULATIONS in...
The lack of paid parental leave for non-gestational parents in the US is infuriating.  And the attitude like you got only makes it worse. I'm sorry.   I was in grad school when I had Z.  I got pregnant right after my PhD qualifying exams.  We did part-time informal childcare (with a neighbor family) from about 6-17 months and then full-time university-based (highly subsidized) childcare starting at 18 months.  Can you get subsidized childcare through the university?  Any...
Definitely not!  In a given week, I use at least four different carriers, sometimes more. And that's while working full-time with a toddler.  The way I see it, a ring sling is perfect for quick hip carries; a woven is awesome for long walks, naps while carrying, and times when you want a very secure and comfortable carry; a buckle carrier or a mei tai is great for out and about; and some of the more specialized carriers (like wrap conversion mei tais) are perfect hybrids...
Humidifier!  It helped both of our girls as babies when they were sick.  And if she is really stuffy, take her into the bathroom with the hot shower running to breathe the steam. Hope she feels better soon.