or Connect

Posts by cookie_

Zachary, 8 weeks. Between the cheeks and the overbite, from certain angles he looks exactly like a Cabbage Patch kid.
Just adding to the chorus of concern here, Cristeen. Best and most positive wishes for you, your family and your little one. I'm so happy to read that you have extended family stepping in to support you all through this!
Grace, I don't think I had quite an as intensely painful birth as you, but after both babies who presented with one arm up around their head (ouch!) and one who corkscrewed, I feel at least a little of your pain! I totally had a moment during pushing when I was like, "why didn't I want an epidural" and "I'm never, ever having another baby."    Sounds like you made it through like a champ!
Cut and pasted from my blog, so forgive me if there's any weird formatting issues!   As some of you may remember, by 39 weeks I was over being pregnant. My mom came into town for 10 days to help out, and I really wanted to have the baby before she left. I’d been drinking my raspberry leaf tea, dosing myself with evening primrose oil, walking at least a mile each day, bouncing on the birth ball to get the baby to move down into the right position, tempting fate by...
Ozzy - Did you pediatrician examine your son for tongue tie or signs of thrush? My first had a small tongue tie (and thrush, it turned out), and the first several weeks of nursing were absolute misery and torture for both of us (I ended up pumping most of the time and supplementing). Is there an IBCLC or Lactation Counselor that you can see soon to get some help with the latch? Or even a LLL meeting nearby? I wouldn't have been able to make any progress with nursing or...
I like MLog's suggestion. I brought my 3 month old to a friend's wedding, and it worked out pretty well. I nursed before the ceremony, then sat in the back so I could duck out quickly if needed (but didn't) and then he just kind of hung out at the table with us and got lots of coos and love from our friends. However...easier said than done in your case, perhaps, since the wedding we went to was in our city and just needed a 20 minute car ride to and from.
Oh my goodness, what a total shock this all must be. Your family, and especially little June, are in my thoughts.  
I'm using both my Moby and a linen ring sling. I love the Moby (and so does the baby), but we've had some too-warm days already where it was impractical to use. I've been using it around the house a lot though, especially in the evenings when poor Z has his worst times with the reflux/colic because it keeps him tummy to tummy with me and upright. I still can't manage to nurse in it though, although I haven't really tried too much. I did, however, finally master nursing...
Cristeen, do you happen to suffer from PCOS? I ask because I do, and when my supply basically tanked over the course of a few days 3.5 months pp with DS1, that was ultimately figured by my IBCLC and midwife to be the cause. I started out taking fenugreek, brewer's yeast, oatmeal, RRL teas/cookies/supplements, pumping, nonstop nursing and all of the regular things that a determined mama would do, but it didn't make much of a difference. The LC and midwife seemed to think...
First, can I just say what a tremendous joy and surprise it is to have a baby who seems to enjoy both eating and sleeping? My first was not keen on either concept. I'm actually getting to really enjoy and cherish these first newborn days because of Z's enthusiasm for both. And also, my mother (baby/toddler-whisperer-type person extraordinaire) is here for a few more days, which makes things much simpler than they surely will be next week. For the past three nights, my...