or Connect

Posts by kat.c.stevens

Hi ladies, So, it's been a year now since I gave birth naturally to my son at home in our tub.  For any who are still wanting info about this, I will share what I have experienced since I first wrote this thread.  In a nutshell, my son's birth went really well.  I labored for 9 hours, was in transition for about 5 of those hours, and pushed for 30 minutes.  Honestly, the pushing contractions hurt like the dickens, but not "down there."  They pretty much hurt everywhere...
Hi there my fellow bilingual mamas! I am bilingual and am raising my son (currently 4 months) with both Spanish and English at home. Because English is my primary language, I have to check myself at home to make sure I am not avoiding certain phrases with him just because I don't know them in Spanish. The problem is, I don't know very many baby and child related Spanish words and phrases, since I've never had to use them before! I know that online dictionaries are...
Hello to you other nursing mamas! I just had my first baby 8 days ago and am learning with him how to breastfeed and all of the joys and trials that go with it! After he was born, my midwife noticed that he was having trouble latching on to my nipple, since I guess they are a little small/ short, and she suggested we try a nipple shield. She also said this would help with the soreness that I reported the following day. So, with my extra-small silicone nipple shield,...
So I am reading all of these trying not to over-diagnose myself, but definitely agreeing that I, too, am feeling a lot of them. This is my first pregnancy and I am 39 weeks today. I have been noticing occasional nausea, more heartburn, and more strange crampy feelings down low, but I am not convinced that they are contractions. They are pretty infrequent. The symptom I have not heard much about that has just hit me in the past two days is being super EMOTIONAL. I...
I am so glad to see a thread like this one! My husband and I are expecting our first baby in 2 weeks and we will be going down to just his income, which will cut our income in half, just about. We have beed following Dave Ramsey's Financial freedom plan since January 2009 and this is the first time our debt-repayment snowball will have to slow down a bit, which makes us a little bummed, but we know we can handle it. As an encouragement to others, let me say this....
Hi everyone! I have a slight dilemma. We have a crib, we have linens, but we don't have a mattress! I know we've got a little bit of time yet (baby is due May 4th), but I don't like waiting until the last minute on these things. So here goes... This is our first baby. I read somewhere a few months back that if you're going to by ANYTHING organic, the mattress was an important one to splurge on, so we registered for an organic mattress that runs about $199. I was...
I don't think anyone has mentioned this source for Cloth Diapers yet, so I will post. I did a lot of research on cloth and found www.KellysCloset.com to be the best site for purchasing cloth diapers & accessories and for learning about them. They have explanatory articles, gift registries, and a coupon for your first purchase.
I am 5'1" and have a short waist and long legs, so I feel your pain. My ribs started aching at around 26 weeks (I am now 29 weeks) and they seemed to ache more when baby was having growth spurts, so I also attribute it to lack of space in there! One thing that helped me, besides laying down, is doing regular side-bend type stretches and trying to keep good posture when sitting during the day. I also (finally!) went out and bought some new bras with a wider ribcage...
Hi again NSMom (not "to be" anymore!), I am so sorry to hear about the trauma of your birth! And don't worry, I am able to draw from your story what I hope will help me when I get there, rather than just getting discouraged. I have never heard of the tearing you described, nor of the pain reaching all the way up to the clitoris, but I know it's good to be aware of all that can happen, and I really appreciate your honesty. I have been taking Omega 3's and I have...
Hi Austin Mom! I work at a health insurance company (Blue Shield) in Washington State, and having done customer service for three years, I feel I can give a little inside advice. First of all, every insurance company is different, and they can choose to cover or not cover a birth done at home based on your particular benefit plan. What I would recommend is that you take the time to call (perhaps more than once) until you find a Customer Service representative who...