or Connect

Posts by danbee

The pertussis is the scary one that has a very high rate of side effects. The general consensus seems to be that the shot only reduces/prevents you from displaying symptoms but does not prevent transmission because it's a bacterial infection, not viral. Therefore, you getting the shot will not protect your kids and may increase their risk because if you show symptoms then at least you know that you may have it and can increase your precautions. Without knowing that you...
I'm wondering if someone can give me info about the initial symptoms of whooping cough? I have a 5 mth old baby, no vax except HIB at 4 mths. Yesterday he started having a mild cough, usually when he was somewhat active (after sitting for a long time). I didn't think anything of it but tonight DH mentioned it to me and right now DS is awake (should be sleeping) and we've noticed he's coughing quite a bit more. It seems to be when he's laying on his back & wiggling around...
I'm wondering if someone can give me info about the initial symptoms of whooping cough? I have a 5 mth old baby, no vax except HIB at 4 mths. Yesterday he started having a mild cough, usually when he was somewhat active (after sitting for a long time). I didn't think anything of it but tonight DH mentioned it to me and right now DS is awake (should be sleeping) and we've noticed he's coughing quite a bit more. It seems to be when he's laying on his back & wiggling...
My DS is 5 mths as well. He has never in his life napped or slept without touching a parent. And we've tried everything, he can be sound asleep, limp armed & if we put him down, he wakes up. We've just accepted either wearing him or I'll sit next to him on the bed w/my laptop while he sleeps. I don't know many highschoolers who still nap w/their parents so I figure it'll end soon enough
DS sleeps on his tummy on DH's chest. I read that sleeping chest to chest stimulates & regulates breathing for LO. This is the only way he would sleep deeply and I agree w/most of the OP's comments about sleep. I read a few studies that linked "back to sleep" to cognitive delays and attributed it to the lack of quality sleep. Made sense to me.
A milk protein allergy could cause the screaming and also irritate the digestive tract enough to inhibit nutrient absorption (so could other food intoleranes, but milk is the most common one). I'd cut out all dairy for a month and see if there's a change (cut soy as well, proteins are similar). I also second the potential celiac/gluten intolerance. I'd also strongly suggest seeing a lactation consultant. Formula is not always the answer and can make things worse. An...
My DH is an equal parent with DS. He works 2nd shift so in the mornings he gets up w/DS and lets me sleep in since DS still likes to nurse multiple times during the night. He pretty much does everything w/DS until he leaves for work. I never have to ask him to change a diaper, if it needs to be done, he does it. I also let him do it "his way" and bite my tongue unless it's a safety issue. DH is responsible for all outside work except the garden because that's my...
Congrats on moving to Madison! If you can give me more details on what you're looking for I can help you out w/a bunch of your questions. What type of homeschool group are you interested in? (Christian, secular, unschooling, coop, etc). There's several good groups in the area. What kind of animals do you have? I breed German Shepherds & have a couple of vets that I really like but part of that depends on where you end up living. Are you looking to buy or rent?...
My first baby is due in 7 wks and I'm trying to make plans. I know that we want to cosleep and have read a lot of articles but I still have some logistical questions. I think that I would feel better initially if he was somehow 'protected.' We already bought an Arm's Reach Mini Cosleeper but I'd like to have him in the bed if possible so I'm also looking at "snuggle nests." Does anyone have any thoughts about these? Which brand is better (Baby's Delight or First...
Okay, so I called today and you were right. I have no idea why I thought it was Meriter - that was a big thing that I was looking at. But I probably would have gone w/GHC anyway because it includes dental insurance which saves us a lot of money. Thanks for the advice about Julie. I live a little north of Sun Prairie so I'd like to go to the East Clinic. Just curious, do you do a normal vaccination schedule w/your child? If not, how is she w/that? I just got a long...