or Connect

Posts by Thinking Mama

Tx for the advice.  I agree that no turnover for a long time doesn't mean no turnover in the future.  There is no guarantee.  I also like the transition plan you suggested, and could probably pull that off.   I think maybe I need to spend more time at BH and see how they interact with the children.  I liked what I saw when I was there, but maybe I need to see more.    I just feel differently about the director of our center now that this has happened...  I'd like...
I agree with the notion that it's best to follow the kids' lead and offer simple, honest answers to their questions.  They'll appreciate the honesty, and it will help them to trust.  If rumors start to spread and they're likely to hear about them, I'd address that more proactively, and tell them what you've heard so that they hear it from you first.  Then, tell them what you know/don't know.  "We don't know and may never know what happened" is a perfectly good answer, if...
Hello.   I'm having some concerns about our daycare center.  I have three sons, one who started at the center we use now, and is now in 2nd grade.  The other two sons are 21 months and 3 1/2 years old.  In early January, 4 of the teachers we liked best quit.  They got into a dispute with the owner about pay and benefits, and gave two weeks notice.  She told them not to return to work.  This really was awful for the parents and the kids -- no goodbye.    Since...
For two years now, DS, age 7, soon to be 8, has been classmates with a boy who lives very nearby.  They are in 2nd grade now.  Over the past year, I have begun a friendship with the friend's mother, and the two of us check in a couple of times a week by email and phone.  We've also had several dinner dates with all kids involved.   For the past several months, my son has been complaining that his friend is annoying, and sometimes says "he isn't even my friend!".  We...
Hello.    DS, age 7, goes to a Maritime charter school in which 8 weeks of swim lessons (1/week for 8 weeks) are required in Kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.  DS is in first grade.  He has developed a fear of the lessons, and said that what scares him is being near "so much splashing," being afraid someone will pull on his swim noodle and he'll sink.  He has become very strident in his desire not to go to swim class.  He was really distraught about it on...
I started using the ergo baby carrier when DS1 was 3 months old, and used it until he was 3 years old. I used it with DS2 from the time he was 2 weeks old, and still use it, plan to use it with DS3, who will be born this spring. I found it by far the most comfortable carrier for my shoulders and back, and by far the easiest to put on, at least in the front carrying position (back carrying isn't hard, but takes some practice, unless someone helps position the child FOR...
I don't have advice, since my DS's are younger that your DD. But, for what it's worth, I did read a nice suggestion about this in Keepers of the Children by Laura Ramirez. She suggested that parents and kids work together to organize kids' space regularly, so that kids develop the skill set to organize and so that it's cooperative. Then cleaning up isn't a command, but a family project, complete with planning and maybe even shopping for materials to help keep organized...
I also have short cycles sometimes, and long cycles other times but I KNOW when I conceived because I chart and I pay close attention. I, too have had poor luck convincing even the most progressive providers that my dates are more accurate than theirs (although my predictions of when DS1 and DS2 were right!). Therefore, I have seriously considered changing what I tell providers about when my last LMP was. If I ovulate on day 12, I count back 14 days before this and say...
Both of my DS's found teething to be very stimulating; it seemed to have the same sort of effect on them that caffeine has on me. Also, when they were about to reach a big mobility milestone (start crawling, standing, or walking), they had a hard time winding down and going to sleep at night. I, too, have friends who say that their kids go to sleep "with no problem" after a week or so of CIO. Maybe they do, or maybe it's selective memory, but in any case, that isn't a...
I think single child families are WONDERFUL, and in fact, before the birth of my second child, I really mourned the loss of our family of three. While I love what I have now, there are things I miss about having one child: the harmony of three (compared with the cacophony of 4 or more), my ability to more adeptly attend to DS's needs, the calm atmosphere of our house. I wish there was more of an emphasis on the assets of single child families, of which there are MANY, in...