or Connect

Posts by Dingletwitz

I never did, but I'll admit that the whole practice was lost on me. Holding a swaddled baby felt like carrying around something inanimate.
I agree that there is a problem with falling asleep during childcare--it's one thing to purposely take a child into a room that is safe because you've hit a wall and need a rest, but it's entirely different when the falling asleep happens randomly. It makes me wonder if you are actually present somewhere her inner bell that keeps alertness going isn't on. Her responses to your requests about gate safety, and the subsequent accident added to the sleeping are cause for...
Recently there's been a lot more press, but there have been situations like Columbine for decades--just not as much publicity. It's hit the news, and this is a good thing. The sad part is that there are people out there who believe that those who fail to conform to the mainstream are somehow flawed and need to be ostracized--and I believe this has been occurring since the dawn of man. How many times I've heard parents give up on changing something about their kids...
Perhaps your cohort are a bit more mainstream than you are? I know I get the looks and such from even my own family when I do not keep greeting cards and don't really buy them often. Typical cohorts of mine think a lot of what I do is weird. They can't fathom living without a TV or pottery barn furniture and all the other stuff of middle class existence. Sometimes it bothers me, those looks, but most times I'm thinking, hey, maybe those guys are getting a new idea based on...
dd is just not a one-meal kind of girl, so I've adapted evening food around that. In the car on the way home, there's usually some fruit, cheese, etc., ready for her as she is Irritable within minutes otherwise. Once home, I put out pickles, veg, lettuce, etc. and we both graze on it. Sometimes then we reheat something, sometimes cook up something and either she eats it or not, but honestly we have dinner #2 at about 9 or 9:30 or she will wake from her sleep ravenous. I...
We're dealing with some negative effects of fluoride also. Do a lot of research before adding it.
I used to keep every freaking thing that came to me in the mail. And I did this for about 30 years. Then it took me another 5 years to get rid of the accumulation after I stopped keeping the incoming ones. I kept three or four--a couple of my birth cards simply because they were beautiful, one from my biological dad and one from grandpa. I threw out every other thing, which ended up being about 4 moving boxes of Christmas, birthday, birth announcements, kids' photos,...
Funny enough, I don't think I've heard dd say any naughty words in public--but I suppose it's like a tantrum. We're not worried that the child is going to embarrass him/herself with a tantrum, we're worried that WE will be embarrassed by their tantrum. I think the same holds true for swears or other things. If we can get past our own insecurities about people judging our parenting, we can let a lot of this type of thing go, no? Funny thing is -- the things dd would do that...
My guideline at home: as long as whatever it is follows standard grammar and is not hostile toward people, it can fly. That said, one needs a driver's license here to use George Carlin's list and will be reminded that "you need a license for that one". (that way, driving frustration is always okay given the license the swearer holds) (I also use a license need for cutting hair) I love what swearing does in flavoring language, but have to draw the line with hostility, no...