or Connect

Posts by MSings

Having thought about homeschooling, talked about homeschooling and observed homeschooling for many years, I think the best part is the gift of time to explore that you give to your child, particularly in the early years. Homeschooling is not perfect and there are trade-offs, you have to decide what works best for your child and your family. I have no regrets about choosing homeschooling over Spanish immersion through our local public school. I regret the Spanish part...
The Story of Classical Music read by Marin Alsop intertwines stories of composer's lives with musical excerpts on an audio CD set. Your library may have it. Susan ds(8)
Little Britches series by Ralph Moody. These are in the biography section at our library. Colorado ranching family in the early 1900s. Lots of illustrations where the child, being a child, makes a not so smart choice. Sometimes he makes them for selfish reasons and sometimes to help his family. Also has the ranchers struggling over water rights - very real situations. Susan ds (8)
I almost forgot: Castle Diary, Egyptian Diary, Pirate Diary by Richard Platt are also excellent. Pirate Diary does not romanticize pirates and is pretty violent-but my ds did read it at 6 (after Greek mythology, violence is relative). Egyptian Diary has the threat of danger but no graphic violence. susan ds (8)
There are some Ms Frizzle books about various countries. Here is the China one: http://www.amazon.com/Ms-Frizzles-Ad...1995002&sr=1-3 My son also enjoyed the Good Times Travel Agency series by Linda Bailey. Here is the China one: http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Anc...ref=pd_sim_b_9
I am another believer in the power of myths/folk tales/fairy tales/legends. They have been tools for educating children for thousands of years. You have the power to pick and choose which ones you introduce to your child. Hansel and Gretel, Three Little Pigs, etc would not be my first choices. Check out your library in the 398 folklore section-there should be 100s of picture books. My son at age 6 could tolerate myths with a high level of violence but one true story...
I read all my child development books when ds was a newborn and infant. He would fall asleep nursing and I would just continue reading. I would get them at the library. My annual books read list has decreased dramatically in the last five years with no naps and full time homeschooling. And if you want a "back in the day" story....when I went to college in the late 70s very few freshman college students had TVs in their rooms and, of course, no one had a PC. Susan...
Is it possible that the teacher is not a good match? How many 5 year olds does he teach? When will she learn a song-even one with all open strings? Some teachers can be so rigid in the order they teach violin that it kills the student's love of learning. My son is now 6 months into violin lessons at age 7. The first 2-3 months were incredibly painful and practicing was a struggle for both of us but he never wanted to quit. I would even ask him if he wanted to...
My favorite math website is Living Math: http://livingmath.net/ I also subscribe to the associated Living Math listserve. Both the site and the group are great. Lots of ideas for introducing math concepts and nurturing a passion for math. I am always impressed by the knowledge of the parents when it comes to explaining and exploring math concepts. Susan
I think you have your pick of time periods- Roman, Viking, Norman, Medieval, Renaissance, Modern. I would see what regions you will visit and what sites you are interested in and go from there. Some sites have tremendous historical overlap. The York cathedral or York Minster had Roman, Norman, Medieval and many other periods represented in a single structure. The power for us was to see how each new group built on the past. I think it is helpful to look at the web...