or Connect

Posts by Mommiska

Yes, that's the one - have you read it? I have a couple of copies floating around my house and I re-read them periodically.
Quote: Originally Posted by hotmamacita I wish you were my relative Mommiska! And thanks for everyone's input. It's been interesting to read all the reactions, and I've gotten lots of good ideas for ways to handle 'hand-me-down' clothes in the future!
Will he engage about other issues - like talking about a favourite TV programme/etc? Might be an idea (although it might be something you've already tried). I really would get the Faber and Mazlish book...it's been a godsend in this household! Kids grow up so fast these days...they turn all 'teen-ager-ish' way earlier than we did, I think...(sigh)
It is an interesting question, I think - and we all seem to have different answers! For the record, I really like my SIL, get along really well with her, and I'm not angry/etc with her...I just found it a bit annoying/disappointing to see that particular outfit on e-bay, and was wondering how others would feel in my position. I think it's a difficult question, and I suspect SIL wouldn't want me to know that she'd e-bayed the outfit. She did mention to me at the time...
It's interesting (and surprises me, I must admit!) that so many people wouldn't mind people e-baying hand-me-downs. SIL has also e-bayed, I found out, a couple of gifts I'd given her...now that, I don't mind so much, although I've taken note that she didn't like those things so I won't give that again! But as many have said - gifts are gifts, and what people do with them is their own business. For me, hand-me-downs just somehow feel different. That's just me (and a...
It's interesting to hear the replies. I totally get that when I've given things away (and made it clear I don't want them back), then I no longer have any say over what happens to them. And I certainly don't plan on bringing it up with my SIL! I think the fact that her partner makes tons of money just changes how I feel about it. If I knew they were hurting for money, I don't think it would bother me (and I might dig out more things for her to sell). But the fact that...
I haven't seen it myself, but know various family members go to churches which are using it at the moment - this is Dobson's 'Truth Project', right? My one observation is that calling itself the 'Truth Project' is fairly presumptous, you know? After all, Christianity is a varied faith, with many different interpretations of Scripture, etc. Asserting that one particular version/interpretation of Christianity is the 'Truth' (par for the course with Dobson), is unfortunate...
Would that annoy you? I'm just curious how people would feel about it. I hand down a lot of my older girls' clothes to my SIL for her two girls. I give her lots of clothes, and have always said that if she didn't want anything, she should just give it to a charity shop or something. I see my older niece wearing some of the clothes/shoes I've given, but when I was searching on e-bay the other day for a designer brand of clothes (I love this brand, and can only afford...
Some of what you say rings a bell for me with my dd2. She tends to be quite negative and I do think she has issues thinking that we love the other kids more than her...it does worry me. DD2 is involved in a lot of activities, which she enjoys and does well in...and she seems to recognise that, which is good (although piano gets to her sometimes...but I think most kids are like that!). With dd2, I really try hard to make sure I am spending at least a little bit of...
Hi there, My 8 year old dd can be difficult as well...very moody and sensitive, and tends to always see the negative in a situation, rather than the positive. I know I feel like I could use lots of advice on ways to help her through this! I do try to start with listening to how she's feeling...she won't always open up and talk, but when she will, that always seems to help. When she knows that I understand (and am willing to spend the time listening to what's going on...