or Connect

Posts by Aridel

In most states EI is not through the school at all & children who are receiving EI services are able to transition to school-based services at age 3 (exactly 3, on their birthday it changes over) if they qualify.  Vax status often only matters if the child attends a playgroup at an EI facility, not for home services.  It depends on the state.   ETA: EI asks, but whether it impacts services depends on state regs.  They need the record for center-based services & probably...
Sometimes EI is worth it if only for the help transitioning to the schools, if that is something you want to try and do.  It sounds like group may be worth re-visiting if the timing works out.  As far as questions you could start with something like: "I only have you guys for a few more months, so I want to use our time as efficiently as we can.  He loves playing with you, but I was wondering how (x activity they do every time) works on (his goals)?"  Or "I wanted to...
It's an awkward conversation sometimes, but it sounds worth asking them outright.  Ask what their plan is, if they have one, and what kinds of things they need to see.  What are his goals on his IFSP?  What strategies did they put down to help him meet them?  Mention that you'd like some help with daily life activities, and ask if it would be helpful to do x, y, z while they're around so they can see.  (meal, water play, getting ready to go outside)   When you say...
How do they respond when you explain what you've already tried?  Are they helpful in giving you input about specific issues you've mentioned?  Sometimes it takes awhile for new therapists to get to know a child, and see what is going on, or what to try, but if you've been in for a few months you should be past that point by now.   It might be helpful to have them stand back and observe him with you a bit, to try and help get a better picture of him.  Can you involve...
I think some of this comes from an essential disagreement about responsibilities, entitlement and risk aversion.  We've talked the entitlement to death.  As far as the responsibilities, I think if you borrow money with an agreement to pay it back, then you have to pay it back.  Legally, you're fine.  But I wouldn't be able to live with myself not repaying that kind of debt.   And you will never be an equal in the relationship with your MIL as long as she funds your...
Honestly, I would pretty much cut off contact for an incident like that, especially with the history of ignoring abuse of her own children in the past.  I would certainly never allow her alone around the kids, but even you being right there didn't stop her, so she wouldn't be seeing them in a long time, and if she got to visit again it would be under very carefully monitored conditions.   Partly that's because she clearly is not remorseful and this wasn't a one-time,...
I agree with all the PP saying  she needs a lawyer, now.  Payment plan, low income law clinic, wherever she needs to go, she should go.  This will not end well if she just tries to take him, even if he's being watched by someone other than his father, and if it drags on long enough he is in Kindergarten, the school will likely not allow her to pick him up.  Sole custody is rare, what did he claim as a reason for not going for joint custody?   I would try and consult...
Again, I'm just going off your deleted posts where you said you had to charge groceries every month and couldn't take your kids to the dentist.  It was also there that you said you expected them to help more because they had more money, unlike your parents.    If you can't afford for them to visit, tell them no.  If you can't afford the fancy new car, tell them no.  If you couldn't afford the four-bedroom house, you could have told them no.  Start practicing different...
I actually think the healthcare situation in this country is unconscionable in general, including access to dental care.  I was going on what you posted about not being able to take kids to the dentist, not pulling it out of the air.  Like the yogurt, it's not that I'm going after you for one detail, it's that your entire financial situation both now and historically is kind of an example of how not to run finances at all.  You can't afford the things you keep buying, and...
  So that's a good step, and if you actually find a job that fits your requirements good for you.  I already said that was another option, and if that doesn't work out you have to look at something else because something has to change.  I can't believe you feel like you've made good choices here.  How can you possibly think that when you're in the situation you're in?  Not being broke, because there is no shame in being broke, but running up debt after debt for things...