or Connect

Posts by jenrose

Legal issues aside, women are best served when midwifery is legal and flexible, and when hospitals maintain good relationships with the midwives in the community. Birth is safest when women have the freedom to choose the birth that fits them best, and when the barriers to transport are minimal.    My experience casts this in sharp relief. My last pregnancy, I was technically high risk, but could not stomach the thought of planning a hospital birth. My home is about 4...
I second the suggestion of, for a baby 5 months old, considering solids if it's filling in for only one missed feed per day, with the caveat that it is important to make sure those solids have some fat to them, especially if baby is having trouble gaining. Adding the "cream" from canned coconut milk was a near-miracle for my second child, who had a metabolic issue. Extra virgin coconut oil is also good, but harder to use with a baby that age.    It's important also...
Holy moly! That's huge.   This is such a fear for me that I refuse to sleep with my husband until one of us gets a permanent fix.    On the one hand, two close together is challenging early on. On the other hand, you've gotten through 31 weeks of pregnancy with next to no symptoms, and that's got to count for something, right? And two close together can be much, much easier down the road.
Oh, and it's only $250 if you hire it done. My midwife helped my sister prep the thing for me for free, and we already had a steamer and a food dehydrator and a blender. Midwife had an encapsulator, but that's a luxury, not a necessity, and we bought the empty capsules. I've spent far more money on vitamins over the course of a pregnancy.
Such a study does not exist and is unlikely to, as there is no way to really do a blinded study on the matter. For me it is enough that I have seen far more people who have done it happy they did it, and very, very few stories of people who regretted it, if any.    After two bouts of PPD without the placenta and one postpartum without that miasma when I consumed the placenta, if it's the placebo effect, sign me the hell up, because PPD SUCKS and postpartum without...
What we did:   Saved a piece of th placenta for smoothies the rest was stripped of membranes, cut, steamed, and dried, then encapsulated   We used the smoothies for about 4 days postpartum. They were extremely potent at first, and a mix of about 1-2 cubic inches of placenta plus frozen mxed cherries, blackberries and blueberries plus yogurt and/or organic valley egg nog plus raw honey was actually quite tasty.   For the smoothies, the placenta needed to be...
Going on st. john's wort when my first child was small tanked my milk supply completely. It can inhibit prolactin. So if you do use it while pregnant (not something I'd recommend), be aware of the postpartum effects if you plan on nursing. 
It took me four years with each of my girls to really start climbing out of the pit. It can last that long.
Given that we transported from a planned homebirth to a hospital birth, and my relationship with my mom has gottened very strained since baby was born, you'd think that having had PPD twice before I'd be a shoe in for it this time.   I honestly think that the placenta capsules have made a huge, huge difference. Like, if I start to feel the crazy build, I take a couple and I calm right down. It was so clear the placenta was helping early on that my teenager...
congrats!