or Connect

Posts by jenrose

So scary, so hard.    My best friend's sister in law had CF. She lived into her forties, despite her parents being told she would die in her teens, or childhood, or soon.... grieve the diagnosis, but your little girl is still here, and she could be here a good long time.   Michelle was a vibrant, alive person who brought joy into the world and led a full life for more than 40 years. It wasn't always easy. There were lung transplants. And it still wasn't enough,...
I dont' care if my kid communicates using semaphore as long as she communicates. We've done PECS, though I will say it's actually more useful at home to simply have a ton of plastic versions of food or whatnot, she brings us the plastic version and we bring her the real one.      One thing you said raised a flag for me... the acquiring and losing language bit. Has she been tested for mitochondrial disorders? Because my daughter stopped losing language when we...
On the subject of risking out...   Ultimately it is not a choice between "risk and no risk" but between one set of risks and another.   I have several "contraindications" to homebirth. I'm fat, old, have a clotting disorder (FVL het), sleep apnea, and hypothyroidism.   HOWEVER...   I also have a ridiculously simple obstetric history, live 5 minutes from a hospital with perinatologists on call and a level III NICU, and NOT ONE of my risk factors...
At this point it's looking more and more like "No sex until DH mans up for a Vasectomy".    There are NO options for me that are as low risk as that is for him. And I'm 100% not willing to get pregnant again, ever. Period.   Now, if I god forbid end up with a cesarean, they can do a tubal at the same time. Or hell, take the whole dang thing out and stomp on it, I'm DONE.   This was a planned pregnancy. And we used NFP/FAM for years, successfully, but I find...
Below 200% doesn't mean 200% below. Below 200% simply means that your income must be less than 200% of the poverty level. Makes perfect sense. 
Kids under age 2 need to be rear facing. Older, if possible. They have a five times higher risk of getting seriously hurt or killed in an accident forward facing. Weight is mostly irrelevant. There are car seats that will rear face to 40 pounds. Just because the seat says it can be forward facing for a 20 pound child doesn't mean that a 1 year old or a 15 month old's bones are strong enough to tolerate the crash stresses of that position.    My eldest is 18. When she...
Milkybean, I'm SO sorry you had to deal with that kind of crap.    I try very hard to leave room for my instincts. With my first, my instincts said to lock myself in the bathroom and not come out until the baby did. We'd have been MUCH better off. With my second, my instincts said "Stay the hell away from the hospital or extensive monitoring" and I listened and it spared us a ton of grief. This time, my instincts aren't saying either of those things, so I'm staying...
So now I'm trying to figure out which waterbed heater would be appropriate. I posted to my facebook, hoping some of my geek friends would have brilliant ideas. One of them pointed me to a website discussing the benefits of trashcan-sized nuclear devices that will someday power colonies on the Moon and Mars. I cannot believe I actually said, "No, I'm not going to use a trashcan nuclear reactor to heat my birth tub", but that's the kind of friends list I have.......
Yes, the key is "12 hours to the last dose".    My last labor was less than 4 hours from my first contraction to the baby out. So I reiterate.... there is an increased risk of hemorrhage *if you are on LMWH at the time of delivery*. If it's been more than 12 hours from your last dose, you're not still "on it at the time of delivery".    I just dq'ed my lovenox because I started prodromal labor at 35 weeks, as I always do, and while we've got an excellent chance...
Hemorrhage risks ARE higher on blood thinners if you are on them at the time of delivery.