or Connect

Posts by jenrose

Which is true for just about everything, but her analyses are intelligent, well-reasoned, and 100% about the research. It seems to me that having the personal bias that "anyone who supports homebirth must be doing so out of emotional reasons and not scientific ones" is not an improvement over someone who spends 99% of their time looking at research with the goal of understanding it well. 
Oh, as for tubs, we used a 100 gallon rubbermaid horse trough. It's a little wider and longer and much, much deeper than a regular bathtub, fills quickly (one tank of hot water, 20 minutes) and cost us about $70. We used a standard cheap garden hose to drain it, and a RV drinking water hose to fill it. Everything, tubs, hoses, adapter for the sink, all cost $70 total, in 2005. We had ours in our kitchen, which had plenty of room. 
I'm curious about what you're husband's job is. Sounds like he's not a doctor?   UC is a really, really personal thing. The thing that gets in the way of it the most is fear, and one of the biggest sources of fear can be someone trained in medical birth.   As for what you need... First, know that if there's a situation where you, personally, would actually need oxygen, you need to transport. Even then, new standards of neonatal resuscitation say that room air (or...
I've had a couple of miscarriages, and for me, knowing I"m pregnant isn't the issue, I just find it reassuring to have a stack of the internet cheapy tests and watch them get darker by the day. I've gotten pregnant every time I tried, I just haven't stayed pregnant every time I've been.   Also, I like science, and there's something sort of mad sciency about the pee tests. I find them satisfying. Not so much necessary. 
To me, Lotus birth seems like a very unnatural way to go about handling the placenta. Eating it, sure. But natural biological behavior of mammals is to sever the cord soon after the placenta is out, then eat the afterbirth. You have to jump through a lot of hoops to leave it intact safely, and it can really interfere with skin-to-skin cuddling.    People like it for creating a "mindfulness" around handling baby, but honestly? I think there are enough challenges in...
Midwifery Today publishes a book called "The Heart and Science of Homebirth". It's due to be updated in April, I believe, though I can ask them if you want. (I used to work there, it's out of print at the moment.)   Lots of research in there, and lots of stories.    Henci's book, for the last poster, is all science. I'd add Marsden Wagner's "Pursuing the Birth Machine" for more science.    Birth Reborn is one of Michel Odent's earliest books. He's done...
  You will find individual success stories about homebirth twins, and some tragedies, and zero concrete research on it.    Factors which will be relevant:   Gestational age when you start labor. If you're earlier than 36-37 weeks, you're going to need to be at a hospital because the chances are VERY strong that babies will require at least some medical support for breathing.   Position of babies. Some practitioners only worry about the position of the first...
Pretty much this. One of the few upsides of having really enormous breasts for me is that the other nipple isn't generally in reach if i don't want it to be.  
 To be clear, if I were not willing to have a homebirth, I would have ZERO choice in health care provider among the medical establishment. There is ONE physician practice that will see me. ONE. And I'm fortunate that while he IS a high risk doc and takes the more interventive route more often than not, he also says, "this isn't jail, you have a choice".
Oh, and I once had a blister on my eyeball and the ER refused to see me without a referral because of OHP, and I ended up saddled with the WORST doctor because he was the only one who would see me that day. We switched after that.