or Connect

Posts by jenrose

I've been on OHP and have friends on OHP, and one of my friends gave birth recently and picked Karen for her provider. My sister was unable to at the time her baby was born. I do know it's hard to pick and choose, but I also know she's been open recently. 
And as long as you actually act on the information provided in a sensible manner (i.e. not insisting on using the LMP for a woman who has been charting and knows when she ovulated) then expecting honesty is pretty reasonable. My midwife got the whole story. The consulting perinatologist gets the relevant information... they ONLY ask about LMP, and utterly dismiss the idea that I know anything about my body, and thus they get the adjusted date, because what they need to...
I'm laughing because my position has always been, "If you can't start a damn IV in an emergency, what kind of hospital are you, anyway?"   I flat out will NOT allow heplocks, ever, and they don't get to start IVs on me unless I actively need an IV right now. That's one where I simply will not bend unless they can show me a medical justification for why I need the IV now. If they can't start a fast IV, they've got no business putting themselves forward as a safe place...
Actually, I'd call, tell them she came recommended, and see what they say. They SHOULD tell you if she's accepting new patients. She isn't always. 
My dad was fantastic at my hospital birth. I think his comment when someone asked, "Doesn't it bother you to see her naked?" was "I changed her diapers."
We all moved into the house together, so we had no history on the utilities (and the last occupant was a single woman, so no comparison.)
I've had a request pending for the social group for a couple of days now. :(
I should also add that gold standards of recordkeeping are meaningless when there are barriers to what actually gets filled out on the forms.    And yes, I'm sure that studying planned homebirth vs. planned hospital birth in a state during a time when midwifery was illegal tells us very little about the safety of planned homebirth in general.   Just like studies on safety of planned homebirth done in countries with deep infrastructure to support planned homebirth...
I used a rubbermaid trough, and it got emptied afterwards then lived in the backyard for a long time. I'm going to evaluate it soon and decide if it is cleanable for this next birth. But the 100 gallon size fit very nicely in my kitchen and I fit in it, and I am 5 foot 8, with very long legs, and I'm very heavy. It wasn't "expansive" but was adequate and filled SO FAST. 
I used a 100 gallon rubbermaid horse trough and it worked great, and filled in about 20 minutes from a single hot water heater. It wasn't "expansive" but it was big enough. Without that tub, my daughter would not have been born vaginally.