or Connect

Posts by jenrose

They will likely flat out refuse to admit you if you refuse to sign a consent to treat form.   HOWEVER... you can amend the form with a handwritten note saying, "All treatments must be discussed individually with me prior to administration, and my consent obtained for each one. If I am not able to consent, my husband must consent to all treatments." (Capacity for consent is a legal concept, and pretty well defined.) There are other verbages for this, ask Google. 
I'm not passionately for mandatory midwifery licensing, and it's not required in my state. But if you're going to put yourself out there as a licensed provider and bill insurance, you dang well better BE a licensed provider, or it's fraud, and if the threadstarter feels strongly enough about not being part of someone violating the law (even if she's not the one doing it) that she won't go to a CPM, then a CNM who has let her license lapse in a state where unlicensed...
My 6 year old was rear facing to age 3 1/2 and about 33 pounds.    For her, car seat screaming ended up being all about a little edge of velcro from the seat hitting her at just the wrong place. This is a kid who never cried, except in that damn seat. When we moved her out of the infant seat and into the Britax Boulevard, the screaming stopped.   I wouldn't turn a child around before age two, ever, period. Personally, I won't turn them around until they hit the...
Most of the midwives I've ever seen came to my house for the majority of my visits, and wouldn't DREAM of asking me to leave my house for the postpartum. That's part of the beauty of it! My last midwife drove 45 minutes to get to me, as she lived in another city.
So upsetting.    1. There are a very few circumstances under which I'm okay with my midwife not calling to tell me she's running late. Personal emergencies, for example, if one of her kids was hurt. Or if she was actively at a birth that was complex and requiring all hands and/or a transport, I don't expect my prenatal to be that high on her list.   But a new patient appointment? No. You call. Period. "Cable guy" scheduling doesn't even work for cable guys, it's...
I believe that non-nurse midwifery was illegal in Missouri for the vast majority of the period of time that covers. Any time there's a barrier to transport, home birth becomes more dangerous. And criminalizing non-nurse midwifery creates a HUGE barrier to safe transport. Here in Oregon, I know that if I want to transport, my midwife won't hesitate. In fact, my entire pregnancy I've been seeing her and getting consults through a perinatologist who both likes and...
Then the answer was probably, "Second life"...lol! Or writing fanfiction. I only started coming to MDC regularly recently because the ddc I was in on another board was driving me up a wall.     
Mango might work, but while I like pineapple and I like coconut, together they kind of taste like vomit to me anyway.    Mango Lassi might be a direction to try. 
If I could skip straight to term labor and birth, I totally would.    I think I was a whopping 8 weeks pregnant when I told my husband, "Even if I miscarry, this is the last one, period."   Five pregnancies. Two miscarriages. One child with a chromosome disorder and severe special needs, and my 18 year old. It took me a heck of a lot of work to get the point of even being willing to try.   I hate the toll it takes on my family...which is why there is almost a...
I've heard some midwives say that you can add an hour to the birth for every person there besides the mother, as a rule of thumb.    For my first, it wasn't quite that bad (hours, per se) but the number of people.... OY!   I had my parents. My partner. My two roommates (one taking pictures, the other a massage therapist in training), my kid sister (literally, she was 8) and a midwife. Oh, and somewhere between 10 and 14 hospital staff. It was a freakin' zoo.   For my...