or Connect

Posts by jenrose

The sad fact of the matter is that you can write the most detailed birth plan in the world, and unless the staff have time to read it, it won't matter for diddly squat. I wrote out a very nice, detailed plan for my first. The doctor on call looked at it, decided I was uncooperative (simply because of the birth plan) and was an absolute ass until the 7 am shift change, when a new doc came on. I was 23 minutes from delivering, and the new doc, while she tried, had ZERO...
So, we're planning on encapsulating part of the placenta. I would like to use some of it raw in the first 48 hours.    Just about every recipe I've ever seen for placenta smoothie involved strawberries and bananas. Strawberries I'm lethally allergic to, they're not allowed in the house. Bananas are the next food I'm supposed to trial back in, but I'm not likely to do any more food trials until after baby is born. (Something about risking allergic reaction pregnant is...
If you live in Eugene, check to see if Karen Weiner is taken patients over at Oregon Medical Group, Westmoreland. We use her. 
Heh, I don't know, what year was it? ;)
I've seen animals wean their young. Sometimes they're NOT polite about the process. And with a 5 year old... yeah, I'd stop being polite about it. I think DD1 was 4 1/2 when I started telling her not to come crawl in bed with me until the sun was up.    Twiddling makes my skin crawl. I think it's supposed to. I'm fine nursing a polite 5 year old. I'm NOT fine with having a five year old's hand in my shirt or on my nipples.   I think doing whatever you can...
I nursed my first for 6 years because she accepted limits and boundaries after age 2 and we were able to make it work.   I weaned my second at 2 1/2 because she was biting me at least every day, and sometimes almost every feed.    Up to age 2, I feel my kids have a right to as much milk as I can make for them. After that, Mama has to be happy for it to keep going. 
 We've been on every side of this now.   1. When I was 22 and DD was 10 months, I moved in with my parents to get back on my feet. I stayed for almost 2 years, but even after I moved out we stayed very close.   2. When DH's father died, his mother came out and lived in a nursing home nearby. When the nursing home had a decline in their capacity to handle her (dementia), we bought a house with MIL's money (DH has no sibs) large enough for her, caregivers, and our...
FWIW... Shiny LOVES the bus, and loves school. She's in life skills classes with a near 1:1 teacher:student ratio, and on the bus I believe there's an aide, and ALL buses in our area have cameras on them. I'm just not that worried about her right now, where she's at. 
Don't be ridiculous. She was growing in height that whole time, she just went from 99th percentile down, and was always eating to hunger, drinking to thirs, developing normally. LOTS of babies taper off dramatically in the second half of the first year, especially if they put on a ton during the first half. And while it took her almost a year to gain a pound... at the end of that year, she suddenly wanted to eat everything in sight, and put on 3 pounds in 3 weeks... and...
I have a kid who is not very verbal, even at age six, she can't tell people easily what's wrong, and especially not when she's, say, coming out from under anesthesia. That "mama sense" turned out to be vital for her, the last time she had anesthesia. I got them to bring me back early, essentially as a translator, and what do you know, she's lying there making her unhappy, having-trouble-breathing noise, and they're saying she's "fine"...   I just said, "She is not...