or Connect

Posts by Martha27

Thank you all. As an update we had a good talk about it and had a day Monday off from public school to connect with our friends that already homeschool and called it a "homeschool" day so she could be reminded that it will be a good thing! She is involved in horseback riding lessons and will soon start group lessons where she gets to ride with other girls at her level and is super excited about making friends through that. She also just got her new spring/summer/fall...
So I've pretty solidly decided to go with the mammoth math curriculum for homeschooling my two kids (probably will get the 1st grade and third grade books). I'm just not sure how I want to buy them- printed, CD rom or pdf download? Can anyone who has used this curriculum weigh in with the pros and cons of either method of purchase? Thanks!
thank you for the helpful replies. It is just the friends aspect she feels she will be missing out on and one friend in particular that she's really close to. I am pretty sure we can keep in touch with this friend and we also already have a homeschooling family we are friends with who has two girls, one around my daughters age and one my sons age so that will be good and has already made my daughter feel a little better about the transition. I like the idea of taking some...
So I had posted a while back trying to get some advice about deciding to home school and then made the choice to home school after my kids finish up this year in public school (they are in Kindergarten and First grade). I have talked with the kids about it a bit because I really don't feel like it's fair to just spring it on them and not involve them in the decision and they have seemed good about it but my daughter (first grader) is now unsure and has told me she doesn't...
So now that my kids and I have decided we would like to try homeschooling I am trying to find materials we can use and am starting with finding a good math program first. I'm leaning towards math-u-see but am still looking at everything else too. I have looked at the Khan Academy and like that site a lot but wouldn't use it as the main curriculum just as an extra. So i'm kind of trying to find a program that would tie in well with that website. I need materials at a 1st...
I just posted this link to another mom on here looking for gogurt alternatives and thought you might find it useful too :) These make frozen treats more like the treats in the bags you are describing. I make them for my kids and they are great b/c I can you can use leftover smoothie or yogurt or applesauce, etc. hope this helps :) http://www.amazon.com/Maker-Molds-Free-Silicone-Popsicle/dp/B00CD0LHXE/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1393872238&sr=8-16&keywords=push+pop+containers
http://www.amazon.com/Maker-Molds-Free-Silicone-Popsicle/dp/B00CD0LHXE/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1393872238&sr=8-16&keywords=push+pop+containers I bought these and make my own frozen creations for my kids! Very handy and you can freeze up whatever you want (applesauce, smoothies, etc.)
thank you for the very helpful replies! this is all great information and advice. I have been thinking a lot about how we will get started and yes, I will be taking some time to let the dust settle before really diving in. We do some stuff at home already and I am making sure it is all lead by the kids and only as much as they want to do at this point. My daughter is very into learning cursive writing now and I went ahead and got her the hand writing without tears cursive...
Thanks again for the replies I got to my questions and advice searching. I ended up talking with my daughters teacher and was pleased with the conversation we had about how my daughter needed a bigger challenge but after about a month I haven't seen anything come of it. I asked my daughter if she was getting harder work and she said no nothing has changed and when she asks the teacher says she is too busy with the other kids. I can understand that but it doesn't help my...
Thank you for the reply. I am going to see if maybe she will at least go to his mothers house and stay there, she lives in the same town as my ex and he will be able to go over there and see her and I'm sure my daughter will come around and forgive her dad.   The visitations are court ordered but I really don't think he could turn this around and get me in trouble. I'm not keeping her from him at all. In fact I'd love to see him put in some more effort in this whole...