or Connect

Posts by Martha27

I tried a google search on this question but came up short so thought i'd try hear. I was wondering if anyone has experience with freezing vegetables that have been juiced and how long it might last? I have a lot of romaine lettuce in my garden that I want to preserve somehow and thought of maybe juicing it in my vitamix and then freezing cubes in icecube trays to be added to smoothies later on and possible even into the winter? Does this sound doable? or would they...
 I'm having trouble finding a source that might tell me where certain rices come from, with all the scare about arsenic in even organic rice I want to know what in my cupboard is still safe to eat! I have some organic bobs red mill rice cereal and some Shaw's brand (Wild Harvest) organic brown rice that I'm not sure about?? Anyone know of a website that might list what rices are still OK to eat?
That's what I was thinking too, but I'm not 100% sure how many aides they actually have in the classroom! I know of one who actually also visits my sons preschool so she sees both my kids but then I didn't know if I gave her a gift where do I stop? I'm not sure how many more helpers they have in the kindergarten class or their names there are also people who I know help at lunch time... so it gets tricky!! My gifts are fabric tote bags that I make- I figured those are...
So my daughter is in Kindergarten and there are two classes and two teachers. She has a main teacher but they team teach so she often is with the other teacher. Would you get them both a gift? I say yes but just wondering what the general thought is there? I'm new to this Xmas time and teacher thing so I need opinions! Also teacher aides/classroom helpers who are in the class everyday? is it mean to leave them out? do they normally get stuff??
Thanks for the replies! I always appreciate any advice :) She already bought them but she asked me first if I thought these would be OK. I did a lot of research and these are the highest rated kids tablets around. I looked into Kindles but in the end went with kid friendly b/c I could just picture the dropping and cracked screens! These have a thick rubber bumper all around them! And they are apparently faster than a Kindle and more powerful than an iPad, they have a...
oh yes they do have groups for different level kids in her class. but sometimes she tells me they mix it up and she will be grouped with kids still learning letters. Which is fine, I think it's good for her to be a "helper" sometimes I just feel like I am letting her down if I don't advocate for her to be challenged at the level she is at.
So instead of a full grade skip should I inquire about her getting some advanced help in maybe just math or reading? Is that more common? Like I said I'm not even sure how far ahead she is I just know that the things she tells me they are doing in school are things she already knows- letter sounds and recognition, counting, playing Candyland to learn colors and counting, I know this is all review for her and I want her learning new things and I know she does too. I don't...
Thank you for all the helpful responses! This gives me a lot more information then I started with. I do understand about finding different ways to challenge her mind at home, we actually do hike a lot but we live in a very remote area where museums are scarce! I have thought of music lessons and might think of that some more. Perhaps I'll try and talk with her teacher some more and go from there. Thanks again, it's always helpful to get feedback from other parents :)
My kids (6 and 4.5) are getting Nabi tablets for Xmas. Not from me, from their grandmother. She asked me first if it was OK and I really couldn't find any reason not to allow it. I looked into them and they actually look really cool and educational. However, my kids don't play video games and only have limited computer time to play on Starfall, Reading Eggs, etc. so it was something I had to really think about but in the end I couldn't think of a good reason to say no....
thanks for the link. The teacher does see that she is ahead of her class but she didn't mention her skipping to first grade. Maybe I should ask her specifically about grade skipping? We just had a regular parent teacher conference where she showed me some of the results of evaluations she had done. It seemed like she had to follow an order to the assessment and didn't test her higher than what kids should know by the end of fall in kindergarten. So I'm not even sure how...