or Connect

Posts by Martha27

Hi, I was hoping for some opinions and info on skipping grades. My daughter is in Kindergarten now and turned 6 on October 27. I don't feel like she is being challenged at all. She really has been enjoying it and doesn't complain about being bored but I can tell that the things she is doing are way too easy for her. I do homeschooling with her at home as well as public school and everything I find for her is 1st grade level b/c all the Kindergarten stuff is just too...
we have two horses and two VERY free range kiddos who are always shoe-less despite my efforts to keep them with at least something on their feet, so yes tetanus is a must for us!
I'll put a word in for New Hampshire! great state that often gets over looked I think :) If you look into it keep to the northern part- best area by far and is the best for mountains and hills, the central region is OK too but the north is the most untouched and "woodsy". not sure about land prices but I think you might find it a more affordable state overall compared to other parts of the country. Only drawback is no major city close by, but I don't think of that as a...
thanks for the reply. we talked again to the farmer and I guess the pigs are already half way to the freezer which is why she is asking a bit more. But I have checked around and that's kind of the norm price I have found anyway. She also said she hasn't vaccinated them and said it isnt necessary when you are only keeping them until the fall to be butchered anyway.  
My family and I are looking for pigs to buy to raise this summer and send to the butcher in the fall. We haven't bought pigs before and I'm wondering what to look for? Is it best to go through a farm and garden store where the pigs come from Canada or buy from someone off Craigslist in the next town over? The ones from CL are 110$ and already 40lbs, they are yorkshires which I have heard are good. The ones from the farm and garden store are probably smaller and the breed...
My mom grew up on a dairy farm with Guernsey cows and speaks very highly of them. They give nice milk I've heard but I think are a rarer breed to find now, my mom always gets REALLY excited when we see some at a fair or pass a farm on a road trip :) She wants to get one again someday to add to our small homestead. I don't have first hand experience with the friendliness of the breed but I have read they are docile and my mom has many good memories and stories of the cow...
I'm just wondering what everyone's HS schedule is like as far as how many days a week you have "school time" and if you follow the public school schedule. I am thinking of HSing my two and b/c I have a seasonal job (I'm a gardener and work about april-Nov.) I was thinking I would do most of their indoor book schooling during that off time in the winter and then most of their outdoor learning on the weekends (I have fridays off as well as sat and sun) in the summer. so...
Well I took him to his primary care b/c he was having a lot of stuffy noses and coughing at night (not just weeks but over a year or more) and I thought it might be that he was allergic to cats or something seasonal since it happens a lot in fall and spring and she suggested seeing an allergist just so I could finally know for sure what might be bothering him. When we saw the allergist she looked in his nose and said he definitely has allergies and suggested the test to...
My 4 year old son has recently had allergy testing done (bloodwork) and I got the results the other day. He was tested for everything, food and airborne stuff like pollen and cats, etc. I forget the name of the test but it is the one where anything over a score of 65 is considered an intolerance or allergy. He scored from 50-71 (can't remember the exact numbers right now) on dairy, wheat, rye, oat, egg whites, peanuts. the doctor told me I didnt have to change his eating...
I am looking into starting juicing and was wondering what is a good juicer to get started with? I want to be able to do greens and beets, carrots, apples, etc. I want something easy to clean and would make at least one juice a day for myself and my kids, possibly my parents too if I can get them into it too :) any recommendations on a middle of the road type juicer that is good to get started with?