or Connect

Posts by Martha27

We do live in NH, far northern NH and now that I'm looking more into home schooling I'm learning there are a few up this way that do it. I have one good friend who home schools her kids and she is religious so I think that is one big reason she does it. She has a 6 year old so she has been into it for about a year and is a good resource for me, even if we have different ideas about it. I'm liking the sound of Waldorf, I think I'll check into that to use as a base for...
Thanks again for all the great resources! I have to ask though, is most home schooling based on religion? I have been noticing almost every home school resource I come across online mentions, The Bible or God or both? I'm not against religion or anything I'm just not a very religious person myself and don't plan on it being the focus of my children's education. I want to home school for different reasons I guess? Am I wrong to assume this or is most home schooling done...
Yes I mean learning about nature and teaching a respect for the environment. I want their schooling to be largely based on the outdoors. I mean i know they could still attend public school and I could just take them on lots of hikes and outings on the weekends but I really feel I want to try this idea I have in my head of a nature based learning curriculum. My daughter already shows a strong interest in science and plants and my son loves exploring the woods so I think...
Hi I'm new to the homeschooling concept but had always thought it is what I wanted to do for my children. I have a 4 yo and a 5 yo who will be kindergarten age next fall and is currently in a public preschool. I want to try homeschooling though and am very interested in finding info on a curriculum that has a nature/environment basis. Can anyone point me in the direction of a certain curriculum that focuses on mother nature, the environment, evolution, etc. ? Is there...
I got two pekings one year with an order of hens I was getting just for fun b/c I'd never had them before. I ended up selling them within 2 months b/c they were sooooooo messy! I had heard they were messy so I wasn't totally caught off guard but it was really more than I wanted to deal with at the time. They were pretty neat as little babies, but then got afraid of us even after lots of handling so that was a little discouraging too. The kids always wanted to pet them...
thanks for the suggestions. I ended up using the standard free turbo tax and really liked the way they explained everything and asked questions to figure out how I should file. I was able to file as head of household since I paid for everything to do with the kids in 2011 and the ex didnt live with us at all! I got the EIC, child care and child credit and yes...I got a sweeeeeettttt refund!! I think I earned it this year and it's going to be a great way for us to get a...
This is my first year filing by myself. I am not legally divorced or sperated from my ex but I know I can file as head of household b/c he has not lived with us for a year and not paid child support and the kids live with me fulltime (he has everyother wknd visits). I have alll my incomes and child care expenses for the year (looking at these numbers I wonder how the HELL I survived this year!!!) and I am ready to file...I think. I dont have student loan interest this...
I am not legally divorced yet but have been separated for a year now. I have the kids almost full time (he has every other weekend visitations) and I have not received more than 4 months worth of child support all year, so for us it's a no brainer- I'm claiming both kids and he agrees (thank goodness!) When we are legally divorced and go through court I am going to try and put in a stipulation that if he doesn't pay child support he doesn't get to claim either child....
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me answer this question about longies. I am making some for my 3 yo who is potty trained and in undies he just loves "comfy pants" so I thought knitted pants would be a perfect Christmas gift fot him :) Anyway I am using the wooly wonders wonderpant pattern which I have used before but my question is do I insert short rows? or maybe just not as many as I would for a cloth diapered baby/toddler? my little guy is skinnnnnny and has no butt...
So a little background: I left my husband 10 months ago and have been on my own (he hasnt chipped in his share of CS really at all) living in a 2 br apt. and working since April at my job as a gardener. Well as you can imagine that job is seasonal and is ending at the end of this month. I get my job back in april again but have been going nuts trying to figure out how the kids and I would mkake it through the winter. I barely get by now and my kids spend 10 hours a day...