or Connect

Posts by philosoikou

Hey, thanks!
Thank you for your response! Wolfe's Neck looks great. Emailing them now. Anyone else?
I am planning my two daughters, ages 5 and 2, long-term tent/car camping. We will be out for at least a few weeks. We will have a cooler and a basic stove, but no refrigeration, and a very tight budget. Can you give me some ideas for basic, simple, nourishing staples that we can subsist on? So far I have thought of the obvious: oatmeal, peanut butter, bread, fruit, rice, quinoa, maybe lentils? I feel that if we had just a few basic meals to rely on, we would be...
I am looking for a tent-camping spot for myself and my two daughters. We don't have a specific destination in mind, but we would like to be near the sea, and are thinking of Maine. We will be tent/car camping, and are planning to stay at least a few weeks. We'd prefer not to be in a heavily populated camping area (a little solitude would be very welcome!), but it would also be nice to be relatively close to civilization (groceries, library, coffee shop, etc.). We'd...
What worked for me was to just... stop snacking. I don't mean to be glib or snarky! I'm serious. Meals only, one plate per. Tea or water in between. Yeah, it was a hard adjustment at first, but once I simply drew the line, it was all good from there on out.
I would suggest offering a variety of foods, preferably from the family's table (i.e. not special "baby" foods), and not worrying about whether he eats them or not, or how much. The important thing, IMO, is not that he ingest XYZ amount of food, but that he becomes integrated into the family's food culture. The other important thing is to avoid drawing any conclusions about what your baby likes or doesn't like. Even if he rejects a certain food, for example chicken,...
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackSheepPDX My plan is to set up "nursery" in my bedroom, meaning changing area and the crib for holding discarded clothing (hahaha), as we'll be cosleeping until our #2 proves otherwise. If the crib comes into use, we'll use it in our room, and I'm sincerely hoping that once the kids get to a safe age, they'll just sleep TOGETHER in DD's full size bed. This is exactly what we've done, except sans crib/clothes...
I think the best answer probably depends on your temperament, but I tend to do best with absolutes. So for me, what worked best was to simply draw a hard line: no sweets and no snacks. Three meals a day, period. Pressure valve on the weekends when rules were temporarily suspended. At first this was so hard. All the time, I was thinking about snacks. But after a week or so, I got in the rhythm of it, and it started to feel like a *relief* not to have to make food...
Sending out to all those who have personal experience with the pain of abuse. Your courageous willingness to speak out helps mamas like me to have the strength to do what is necessary to protect our children from this fate.
I continue to feel so glad I posted, and I'm not sure why I ever hesitated. Jen and Sierra, your posts, coming from places pf experience and understanding, are unbelievably helpful. I feel like I hit the jackpot. Thank you so, so much for taking the time. Jen, there is a huge amount of resonance for me in what you wrote, right down to MIL's attitude (though there are some differences) and your brother's response to it. All very familiar. My dh and I are...