or Connect

Posts by odoole

Thanks so much. that's very helpful. that's a good point that he may just choose not to poop at school. i agree sometimes it's just best to drop the power struggle and revisit it later -- that strategy has worked in the past on other problems. maybe if i give him the choice between bath and wipe he may ultimately choose wiping more often.   thankfully he has not had any problems refusing to poop as a result of the wiping battles ... hopefully it'll stay that way....
Sorry, I don't think I was clear in my original post. He refuses to let US wipe his bum.   He'll run all over the house screaming NO and hides under tables, etc. If we lock the bathroom door than it's a battle of wills with him and me sitting in the bathroom for a good half hour with him refusing to let me wipe. I can't pin him down and do it because he's too strong (and even if I could, I don't think that would be a very healthy thing to do in general).   It's...
My son is 2.5, been potty trained for a while now, but lately it's been a real issue getting him to wipe when he poops. He doesn't let anyone do it and won't do it himself. We tried wet wipes, dry wipes, cloth, etc.    He's a strongwilled child in general and most things in our day result in mini-battles, but this particular one is particularly difficult to manage. I'm especially nervous as he'll be starting preschool in a couple months and I don't want this to...
DS is 2 and 5 mo. We haven't been super assertive with potty training yet because we've been traveling a lot and wanted to wait until we're more settled. Nonetheless, he has good urinary control and totally "gets" the potty and will go there on his own without being told 100% of the time, and has had zero accidents the past 2-3 months ... but only when he's naked (which is a lot of the time in the house).   When he has any form of clothing on, even a just a light...
Thanks for the replies so far, and I'd love to hear more. Yeah, I sort of suspected it was going to have to be something we just waited out. I think doing small doses of away time is probably a good start, but it just kills me knowing he'd be sad and crying the whole time, even if it's just a short time.   I also appreciate that it's better to say "bye" if you're leaving, but I leave for work between 4:30-5:00 am, and DS often sleeps until 8, so I definitely don't...
DS is 16 months now and the separation anxiety just seems to be getting worse and worse. It just breaks my heart if I ever have to leave his sight, even for a moment. I went back to work when he was 11 mo, and DH is now the full-time parent. He was younger then, so it was a bit of an adjustment but they got used to each other quicker than I expected. I leave the house before he wakes up, and DS seems to do fine with that. If he does wake up to see me at home, he knows...
Thanks again to all who responded. Oddly enough, just like the time I posted about DS not crawling, he started walking on his own about 2 weeks after I posted. I truly thought it would take much longer, but he's totally digging it. He figured out walking, and about 2 days later, figured out how to get into the standing position. Just the look of achievement on his face that week when he realized that he had these new skills ... priceless! But yes, as many of you...
Quote: Originally Posted by Oliver'sMom thanks everyone my mom is out of state and is only allowed visitors on Saturdays for 45 minutes. It looks like she may get out next week, so I'm going to try to go visit her for a few days then. I'll need to find someone to watch ds1 while dh is at work though. I don't want ds1 exposed to all this. I'll bring my little nursling with though. do any of you have any knowledge/experience with electric shock...
I think most people who strongly against CIO have had to experience this in one way or another. At least your friend owns her CIO methods. What's even more frustrating is when your friend ostensibly is anti-CIO as well, but then locks their baby in the room and doesn't buy a baby monitor. Lo and behold, their children are sleeping "beautifully" by 4 months, they have absolutely no sleep issues, bedtime is a breeze "and we never CIO'ed." And of course you can't correct...
Hey all, Thanks for your responses. I like your take on it. If he's going to be cautious and independent and strong-willed and intelligent about his risk-taking, I'm totally cool with that. I get a little sensitive since he was a late-preemie, and while he has been mostly on track with everything, I guess I get a little unnerved when he's a little behind in doing certain things. Anyway, I agree. I enjoy everything about him, even his strong desire to be held by...