or Connect

Posts by Addy's Mom

Quote: Originally Posted by buttercupmama It's highly unlikely that she was trying to fit in when she told her she was a bad mother following the slap. If you're trying to fit in, you wouldn't be insulting. From my point of view, she was berating her for her choice to not vaccinate her child. It depends. Cultures vary widely and her "slap" could have been someone else's "chuckle under the chin." And one person's insult could be another's...
High functioning ones are making millions in the tech industry. Lower functioning ones are likely still living at home or in group homes.
This is the perfect opportunity to get to know someone else's culture a little better. I would have just said it's surprising she touched you on the face, because Americans don't generally do that, and ask her what it means. See what she says. It could mean nothing. It could have been a sign of affection. Or it could have been an admonition. But I'd let her explain it first, and I'd ask her directly. And then just tell her that it could have been (or was)...
My 3 year old sets the table, hangs his coat, puts his shoes in a basket, and cleans up each "bucket" of toys before playing with a new one. If he makes a huge mess at meal time, he helps me clean it up. He also hangs his bath towel on a hook in the bathroom after his bath. I probably should have him do some more because he loves to help. Hook them when they are young, I say. The only one he protests much is cleaning up each bucket of toys first. But he...
My parents are like this. They don't understand why I won't spank. I told them that if my son's day care can keep 10 kids for each teacher in line with not so much as a time out (and never ever spanking), then I can keep one in line without laying a hand on him.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I will continue to help with more words to express himself, but not address the "I don't like yous," at least not yet.
I can't really comment on how to handle him at home, unfortunately. While my son can get pretty worked up like that, and often displays his worst behavior at home after holding it together all day at day care, I don't have any other kids at home to "protect." However, I did want to mention omega 3 and vitamin D supplements if you aren't doing it already. Omega 3 helps with depression and anxiety which seem to be different sides of the same coin. And vitamin D...
So my 3.5 year old is doing a new tantrum stage when he doesn't get his way. That in itself isn't a problem and we handle tantrums pretty well. But he's started saying things like "I don't like you Mommy." "You're not my friend anymore, Mommy!" "Go away!" I was telling a friend of mine about this the other day, and she said she'd never let her son speak to her like that, that it's disrespectful. I've been trying to encourage my son to talk about his...
Quote: Originally Posted by sky_and_lavender Marylizah, Ah, I guess it takes a Lebanese speaker to understand the short a issue! rightkindofme, thanks for the on-the-ground perspective on names. And Addy's mom, I'm so happy to hear that you weren't too shy in naming your son. I vote Abdul Rahman for the next one! Lately people who hear my daughter's name are always complimenting me on it. Maybe all your support here and made me speak it less...
Oh, yes, I thought that had become his full time job. Hysterical swings of emotion from loving/cuddly one minute to shrill screaming for no apparent reason the next. Sometimes he wants nothing more than to make me happy. Others, he's tearing off through the aisles of the grocery store trying to "lose" me. And he's preferring Dad to me right now, which while it's great for them to spend so much time together, I miss things like reading books at night together. ...