or Connect

Posts by fireHC11

I am recruiting participants for a research study in how birth partners support moms in labor. What do they do? What is important to them as birth partners? The study compensates with a $10 gift card to Amazon. Do you know a birth partner that can help me in my research? About me: I am a birth doula, mom, and grad student at UCSC in computer science, working on a video game to teach birth partners (mostly fathers) about what it's like to support a mom through labor....
I am recruiting participants for a research study in how birth partners support moms in labor. What do they do? What is important to them as birth partners? The study compensates with a $10 gift card to Amazon. Do you know a birth partner that can help me in my research? About me: I am a birth doula, mom, and grad student at UCSC in computer science, working on a video game to teach birth partners (mostly fathers) about what it's like to support a mom through labor....
Three paper rejections this week. So... hard... to... re-motivate... But presenting two workshop papers and a poster at an international conference in two weeks.
In my mind, there is no possible scenario in which it would have ended up OK. He got a response and it is exactly in line with what I would have expected: we are ungrateful bastards that can't look past one mistake to all of the nice things MIL does for us and how we never repay or even properly acknowledge her kindness. It is exactly what I would have written in his place, and I am deeply, severely embarrassed. I don't know how he, my dear, darling husband, could have...
I'm late to the party, but I also would go to the chair rather than the dean. OP, how did this resolve?
You're totally right, and I hadn't thought of it that way. When it comes to dressing my kid, I'm very glad that she -- or any of my relatives -- doesn't say, "He liked this," but instead she says, "I thought he'd like this."In fact, we have specific outfits that we wear to grandma's house when we go visiting. Usually it's clothes that she got for him, because I know it would make her happy to see him wear the things she picked out. This goes for both grandmas and would...
Ha! No, I was not being sarcastic! :-) Our parenting styles do not always align, but she does everything in her power to help out whenever needed. Sometimes this includes unwanted parenting advice, and other times it involves some very silent butting of heads as our styles or cultures clash. I think she always tries to be helpful.
Well, it's going to be fixed this way: My DH quoted the OP and sent the e-mail to his dad! OMFG.
It is a good point, and it's complicated. At this point, my husband will have to talk to his mother, my MIL, and discuss what happened. The person closest to the relative is the one that needs to deliver the criticism. When she has an issue with something I do, she tells her son (my husband) and he tells me. It's just the way the culture works. There's no way for me to express vexation, outrage, or even concern in real time without seeming exceedingly rude.* I don't...
I noticed several of you have mentioned "needy" grad students. How would you describe a needy grad student? I definitely don't want to be one, so I would be glad to know how not to behave! My advisor is amazing and gives me all the freedom in the world, but I do sometimes find myself waiting for her to come online so I can bug her with a question...