or Connect

Posts by fireHC11

I'd like to hear more about this too.
My son is 16 months and we've gone with a part-time nanny since 5 months. We've been through 6 or 7 different nannies (college kids). I appreciate the variability of activities a nanny can provide. My son gets to go to different parks, feed ducks, and go to the beach; sometimes, they do more mundane things like laundry (hers, not mine), playing with friends, and errands. Usually he spends the day out and about, which is great for me because when we're both home, all...
I just finished my coursework towards Ph. D. this week! Woo! And I'm scheduled to finish my along-the-way Masters degree this summer. I was going to walk in the graduation ceremony, but forgot to order the cap and gown... so I guess I'll have to sit it out.
We used pool noodles, too. But we pushed the crib mattress up against our mattress, and put the pool noodles in the space between the crib wall and the crib mattress. Each mattress had its own sheet. No need to cover the noodles.
I'd say it's a sick day. Most employers have a clause that you can use 50% of your sick days to be with sick family members. It would establish a good relationship (even though it's short-term) to let her take it as such.
Hi Tina, Good for you for going to school with all that on your plate! I can't vouch for any particular school, but I can tell you this: be on the lookout for grants specifically for re-entry students (usually defined as 25 and up for undergrad and 29 and up for grad students), grants for women, and grants for parents. Unfortunately, women are not a minority in accounting (this page says they're about equal), so you don't qualify for a woman as a minority. Are...
I'm a doula, and I left a stack of cards with my OB. "I'm volunteering," I said, "so if you know someone looking for a volunteer doula, please refer them to me." Come on, the first visit is an introduction. If it's clear personalities don't match up, or we're on totally different wavelengths, either one of us (me or the client) can walk away. I wouldn't be leery of a card I got from the OB, but, just like with any doula I'm interviewing, I'd pay careful attention...
I think your feelings are very valid and very justified. Your husband's job is in limbo means your life is in limbo. You don't have stability, you can't depend on the future. These are all very real concerns, especially when you have a little one to take care of. There are pros to interviewing for the sake of interviewing: visibility, and practice interviewing. But in the grand scheme of things, you're right, that doesn't get your husband a new job with stability...
I have babysitters while I work. At the peak, I get about 6 hours a day (spread over two 3-hour sessions, one with each of two babysitters). I like to have a morning session and an afternoon session, and break for lunch and nursing. My son is 16 months old, but he still nurses, and it's important to me to keep that up. However, I find that working at home is NOT an option. If I can hear my son at all, I won't get anything done. So, I usually go to a coffee shop...
There's a poll about return of menstruation here: Less than 12 months postpartum | More than 12 months postpartum If you're interested in our MDC statistics