or Connect

Posts by whoami

Anyone elses spouse find it weird that you want to celebrate the changing of the seasons? We are not pagan, but I feel there is richness in paying attention to the cycle of the year and that it provides a great opportunity for learning.   This year we are celebrating the first day of winter and ds is so excited for winter day, however, it feels a little off for me because we really only have two seasons here. I thought we could make paper snowflakes and hang some...
Would you mind explaining how you differentiate the two? I told my 3.5 year old boy the st nicholas story, and he got some treats the following morning. It was so magical for him and he ate it up. He did not like that he rode on a white horse though and insisted he had reindeer. He told everyone later that day that he st. nick gave him the necklace he was wearing, and they were all baffled because they have to wait until Christmas for him to visit them. I like the story...
In a way I want one because then that would mean someone actually cared. Last time my mom threw me a suprise one and relatives flew out and such. I'm introvert though so parties are not my thing and I'm relieved we aren't having one. My friend is throwing her own party and said I should too. If I really wanted a bunch of stuff I suppose I'd do that but I don't. What kind of stings though is in my playgroup it's been tradition for everyone to get a diaper shower, but not...
I am for sure more overwelmed than excited. I have torn the house apart yet again and I'm unmotivated to get it put together. I haven't registered or selected a pediatrician. My son is driving me bonkers and taking him on errands is just not fun. I need a new cover for our cradle but I don't really know how to sew and I don't feel up to relearning so I'm praying my mil can whip one up quickly for us when she gets here. I want to just be lazy but I feel I can't since I...
  I hope you are able to find a solstice celebration so you can get out of the house and avoid grandparent birthday take over before bedtime. If you can't, perhaps you could take an evening walk and have a picnic dinner in that nature preserve. Bring some lanterns and flashlights. You could even bring a suncake or cupcake and let the birthday girl blow out a candle and it wouldn't be as stimulating as doing it at home with all the bright lights. You would still honoring...
thanks for all the ideas! I actually haven't had a chance to leave the house to shop until tonight. While out though I picked up a cute stuffed animal looking hot water bottle at tjmaxx. Now I guess it's just a matter of putting it all together.and making it presentable. ha
My 3 year old loves family. He has four cousins ages 4.5, 5, 10 and 14 that moved away last year and he misses them. He'll talk to them on the phone once in a while and and look at pictures on facebook. I was thinking of getting skype so he could see and talk to them more often. What do you do to help your kids stay in touch with long distance cousins, or relatives in general?
          I'd love to do something like this and hang poles and silks or fabric from the ceiling. Anyone do this at home? My son saw me looking at the first picture and said it was beautiful. I love the softness of it and would love to recreate something similar.  
What were you planning to do on the solstice? Do you exchange solstice gifts? You could do birthday during the day and solstice at night. This is our first year celebrating the solstice so I'm not sure what people usually do... We plan to tell stories, eat a yummy meal and relax in candlelight before taking a walk at night. Then after bedtime for our 3 year old we'll talk more about why were celebrating and what not. I would think you could celebrate both with great...
My 3.5 year old likes the lyra short pencils and lyra crayons best (both are triangle shaped). He has stockmar block crayons and crayon rocks but he tends to only go for them if I am using them. I'd buy regular length lyra pencils and stick crayons.